1Password 8 (Mac) missing option set a default "save to" vault

My default vault is not "Private", and 1Password 8 does not seem to have the option to set a default "save to" vault.

Is this coming, or have I missed something?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.1
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @TranceMist:

Currently in version 8, the default vault for saving new items will be the Private vault in the first account added to the app, or the currently selected vault in the sidebar when you press "New Item". With that being said, we're always looking to improve the user experience. I'll share your thoughts with our development team to see if this feature can be brought back to 1Password 8.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime. 😊

ref: dev/core/core#9846

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

+1 for this

• Thanks so much for letting us know @chris55! I've added you to the feature request as well. 🙂

• beeblebrox
    beeblebrox
    Community Member

+10 for this. This is so frustrating. Seriously thinking of going back to previous version of the app until fixed...

• @beeblebox

1Password 8 uses 1Password in the browser. Have you tried changing the default save location there? You would need to set each browser you use as in my screenshot. Perhaps you are talking about outside of the browser? If so, I would be happy to add your voice to the feature request that Alvin described.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

While the behavior in 1P8 hasn’t caused me any issues personally because I only use one account and I want new items to go into my private vault by default. But I must say that the desktop app should allow a user to set the default vault explicitly just like 1P8 in the browser does for the sake of consistency if nothing else. And beyond that, for those of us who provide tech support to elderly parents this feature is critical. I need to be able to set the default to be a shared vault so I can easily manage their passwords or troubleshoot remotely if need be.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

+1 - Need to be able to set the default vault for new items, ideally there is one setting location to accomplish this, regardless of which 1Password face we're using.

Managing 1Password for elderly parents also. It would be ideal if there was one simple setting location.

• Thanks folks! Noted.

• Steven78
    Steven78
    Community Member

+1
    I had written something about this in anothter thread:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/620915#Comment_620915

I think we need this feaure in all clients to prevent saving items in the wrong vault by accident.

• Thanks Steven.

I see where you're coming from with the scenario you described:

I use 1Password with my family - especially to assist my elderly parents. [snip] Please re-add the feature to set a default vault - it's really critical to ensure a working family workflow.

Hopefully the screenshot Tommy shared above is enough to help in the majority of cases. If your parents are using the browser for most things then setting the Save new items in default vault will cover a lot of the bases. I can definitely see them launching the main app and adding items there so I agree it's not ideal.

There were challenges on the other side when we included this in the main app, but hopefully we can find a way to have our cake and eat it, too. In the mean time, and I assume you already are, but if you set yourself up as a family administrator and you maintain the email domain for them (or have their email account accessible), then you're not only in a good position to recover their account if they forget their account password or secret key, but you'll also be able to find any items they create in their personal vault when needed. Not ideal I know but just wanted to make sure you and others in this thread know this is option is available.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• ReubNOUS
    ReubNOUS
    Community Member

I also am very frustrated at the removal of the "default vault" preference in the 1Password app.

I help manage 1Password and vaults across our workplace staff. Since admins do not have access to each user's private vaults (via the management tools or vault permissions), we rely on the "default vault" feature when setting up each staff member's devices, to help ensure new logins are saved into a specific vault we create for each user. This allows us to easily access or amend these logins as required as part of our IT support. 95% of all new logins should be put in this vault, thus the benefit of setting a preference to speed this task up. It's important for us that any company-relevant logins are saved in a vault that's accessible to admins, particularly to easily manage transition of accounts and update logins when there is change of staffing.

I was keen to try out 1Password 8 as I read that it would supposedly allow for auto-filling across macOS apps (not just browser). However, the lack of a "default vault" preference is a deal-breaker and I immediately reverted to using 1Password 7.

Please give back control to administrators to determine for themselves the appropriate default vault for each user/use scenario instead of mandating this be the "Private Vault". Here are some main reasons:
    1. You creating MORE WORK EACH TIME A NEW ENTRY IS ADDED (additional browsing to appropriate vault before creating a login) for users that ARE careful to put new logins in the appropriate vault.
    2. You are INCREASING THE CHANCE THAT NEW ENTRIES ARE SAVED IN AN INACCESSIBLE VAULT for users that are less savvy or less careful about where logins are stored.
    3. You are HAMPERING THE ABILITY OF IT ADMINS to easily manage/troubleshoot/update logins for staff members.

As long as Private Vaults are kept hidden from admins, we rely on the "Default Vault" feature to help mitigate this lack of access.

• tuomaszek
    tuomaszek
    Community Member

+1

• chriswilson
    chriswilson
    Community Member

Adding a +1 to this as well. My wife and I used a shared vault as our default vault in v7, and not having this feature in v8 is a huge step backwards for us. Neither of us use the private vault and we only use a single shared vault.

• Steven78
    Steven78
    Community Member

@dteare
    Sorry for my late reply.
    Yes, the situation isn't a complete show stopper for us, but it's a constant annoyance.
    For example my father wanted to share an important document with us. So he scanned it and added it to 1Password using the windows application. And he put it in his personal vault by accident :-/
    For us disabeling the personal vault all togehter would be a solution as well.
    But I think a simple option in the settings would be a perfect solution:
    "Dont add new Items in the selected vault, always use default vault: ..."

• Thank you for the added votes, folks. We appreciate understanding your specific use cases. 🙏

This discussion has been closed.