To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need advice on cleaning up old Dropbox vault

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

A few months back I transitioned from 1P 6 standalone (using Dropbox sync) to Family Membership. I've been using the new membership, and loving it, everywhere except on an older iMac that was still running OSX El Capitan. Since membership requires a minimum of High Sierra, I had to continue using 1P 6 on the iMac. You can imagine what a pain that has been. Well, this morning I finally upgraded the iMac to High Sierra and got 1P 7, and am now able to use my Family Membership. Thank goodness!

So now I would like to clean up the old vault data in Dropbox since I no longer need it. Can someone please suggest the best approach to cleaning that up? When I open Dropbox, I see the following:

Is there anything I need to keep, or can I delete everything related to 1Password?

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• Hey @ajahn! If you've moved everything over to your 1Password account, then you don't need those files in Dropbox anymore. Those were used for syncing your standalone vault not your 1Password account – they can be deleted if you no longer need them.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hi @Mathieu_1P. I remember hearing that there was one file that needed to be left alone, even in Dropbox. Are you saying that everything shown in my screenshot can be deleted from Dropbox? Just making sure. And to confirm, I'm using the family membership everywhere now. Thanks.

• @ajahn: If you've moved everything over to your 1Password account (you can always check by signing in at 1Password.com), you don't need the files in your screenshot anymore. Of course, you can choose to keep them if you want.

These are the files in your screenshot:

• 1Password.opvault and 1Password new.opvault. These are your encrypted items in your standalone vault. From the names, dates, and size, I assume that 1Password new.opvault is just a copy of 1Password.opvault with a few additional changes. But I don't have access to your data, so that's just a wild guess rather than knowing.
    • 1Password.legacyagilekeychain is the old file format for standalone vaults. When we transitioned to OPVault, it's likely 1Password renamed your old .agilekeychain file to this.
    • 1Password-4.3.1.safariextz is an old version of our extension that Safari no longer supports. We bundle the extension with 1Password 7, and have a separate download in the App Store for 1Password 8.

When you were using your standalone vault, the .opvault files were used to sync your data. But a 1Password account uses a separate system and won't touch those OPVault files.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Great! Thanks so much for those details. I'll get rid of those files.

• @ajahn

I remember hearing that there was one file that needed to be left alone, even in Dropbox.

I bet you are thinking about the very old syncing pointer file in Dropbox. It is a hidden file on macOS, but you'll likely see it on the Dropbox website. If you have everything in your membership then yes you can certainly remove all of those files. In later versions of 1Password the file referenced below was not needed. But as you can see I collect stuff from bygone years here at 1Password.

We're glad to have you with us. Let us know if you encounter any troubles.

This discussion has been closed.