Popup to create new login item doesn't pop up when registering new site

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member
edited April 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

My wife has been registering a lot of new web accounts lately for her new real estate job. She keeps complaining that when she does that, the usual pop-up that asks you if you want to add it to 1Passoword is not happening (like it used to with our old standalone version). Of course, she tells me after the fact that she had to go into 1P and add the new login item manually, so I haven't seen what she is doing. I think I might know what's going on... She likes to use her own passwords, and not use the suggested 1P passwords, so when she does it, I think 1P might be locked. I tried using the "Registration" section in the "fill.dev" site, but it doesn't ask to create a login item (maybe you can point me to a place to test it). She's using Chrome on her MacBook Pro.

Any ideas on what is going on?

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I've been doing a little more testing and I think I might have more info. Go to https://fill.dev/form/registration-username and do the following:
    1. Type in a username
    2. Type in your own password
    3. Type confirmation password
    Click on the 1P icon in the confirm password field and not that instead of getting the "Save in 1Password" you get "Use suggested password" (seems like if you already have a password entered, you should not get the suggestion

If I click back into the password field I get the expected "Save in 1Password" (click in the text filed, not the 1P icon)

Seems like 1P is a little confused.

Of course, if I use the suggested password, everything works perfectly. It only gets confused if you use your own password, For me, I always use the suggested password so I haven't noticed the issue. My wife wants to use a more readable password because she might need to use it on a common computer at her work (where she can't install 1Password.

• kevin.li
    edited April 2022

Hey @ajahn,

You mentioned that you and your wife used to use the standalone version of 1Password. Thank you for the long-time support to 1Password.

However, the saving process changed for the current 1Password in the browser because of introducing the inline menu detection feature. It basically reverses the traditional password-saving process, asking you to save the login info after clicking the submit button.

Instead, when you click the 1Password logo inside the inline field, the 1Password extension will offer you to save the login as shown below:

Therefore, it is expected that we won't see the prompt to save login info after the submission. It also applies to the sign-up page, as in your wife's situation.

I understand if you prefer the classic auto-save process. In addition, we have lots of customers who reported the same issue. So, I have added you to the customer request list for this matter.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

ref: IDEA-I-645

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

I'm confused. You say that the password-saving process is done after clicking the submit button. When I go to https://fill.dev/form/registration-username and click the "Register" button or press Enter, I only get the submitted page. Nothing asks me to save the password in 1P. In my test, I am entering my own password, not a suggested password. If I take the suggested password on the first password field, it immediately pops up the "save existing password" dialog (before the "Register" button can be clicked. It seems like the act of taking the suggested password triggers the password-saving process.

• Hey @ajahn:

Yes, that's correct, generating a password will always trigger the Login saving process.

Since you mentioned that your wife wants more readable passwords, would changing the default password generator for suggestions to be a "Memorable Password" help improve her situation?

She can customize which option is used by 1Password in the browser by opening the 1Password pop up by clicking the 1Password icon in her browser's toolbar, then clicking the key icon. Choose the "Memorable Password" type, then enable the option "Use as default for selections".

Jack

This discussion has been closed.