Google Cloud Platform Setup optimization

Options
Serpentz01
Serpentz01
Community Member

Hello,
I have followed your documentation for "Deploy the 1Password SCIM bridge on Google Cloud Platform"
https://support.1password.com/scim-deploy-gcp/

The SCIM Bridge has been integrated fine with our IDP OKTA.

However, after a fews days running, I have checked the cost involved for this project in GCP, and it appears that the cost average is more than 3$ US per days and will cost more than 100$ per month.

This will increase a lot the cost of 1Password.

I am wondering if you were able to optimize the cost on GCP?
I am looking to keeping the costs as low as possible.

Do you have any suggestions ?

I found another post for Azure and they were able to reduce the cost to less than a box per day.
https://1password.community/discussion/126570/azure-kubernetes-setup#latest

Our prefer Cloud Provider is GCP, and most of our stuff are already running there, so that why I am looking to find the perfect recipe to run the SCIM Server at the best possible price.

Thank you,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Serpentz01.

Thanks for reaching out.

The cost will mostly depend on the instance type you select for your deployment, and the number of nodes. You should be okay with 2 x e2-small instances, which should amount to about $36 per month for the two nodes.

I hope that helps!

• Serpentz01
    Serpentz01
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @DeVille_1P

Can you elaborate how you counted this ?

I'll share my number: (Per Day)
    I created the cluster using your marketplace apps.

Zonal Kubernetes Clusters Management Fee: 2.40$
    (E2-SMALL)
    E2 Instance Core 0.29$
    E2 Instance Ram 0.15$
    Storage PD Capacity default 100GB image boot disk 0.15$
    Network Load Balancing: Forwarding Rule Minimum Service Charge 0.60$
    External IP Charge reservation: 0.10$

Daily Cost: ~ 3.69$ / Day
    Monthly: ~ 112$ / month (the config above is for 1 E2-Small node running 24/7)

See info about Google GKE management fee here:
    https://www.theregister.com/2020/03/05/google_reintroduces_management_fee_for_kubernetes_clusters/

So we can play with the default storage 100 GB associated to the node pool, I lowered it to 12 GB.
    This change save about 4.40$ per month.

Management fee and Network LB are the what cost the most in this configuration...

*GKE management fee can be wave if this is your first GKE zonal cluster in your billing account.

Is there any other 1Password Admin that use GCP for their SCIM Bridge willing to share their number?

Regards,

• Serpentz01
    Serpentz01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @DeVille_1P

Can you elaborate how you counted this ?
    I'll share my number: (Per Day)
    I created the cluster using your marketplace apps.

Zonal Kubernetes Clusters Management Fee: 2.40$
    (E2-SMALL)
    E2 Instance Core 0.29$
    E2 Instance Ram 0.15$
    Storage PD Capacity default 100GB image boot disk 0.15$
    Network Load Balancing: Forwarding Rule Minimum Service Charge 0.60$
    External IP Charge reservation: 0.10$

Daily Cost: ~3.69$ / Day ~112$ / month (the config above is for 1 E2-Small node running 24/7)

See info about Google GKE management fee here:
    https://www.theregister.com/2020/03/05/google_reintroduces_management_fee_for_kubernetes_clusters/

So we can play with the default storage 100 GB associated to the node pool, I lowered it to 12 GB.
    This change save about 4.40$ per month.

Management fee and Network LB are the what cost the most in this configuration...

*GKE management fee can be wave if this is your first GKE zonal cluster in your billing account.

• Hi @Serpentz01,

The cost estimate we gave was cost per node, not cost per cluster. Of course, we cannot account for costs incurred based on other Kubernetes clusters you may be running. As you pointed out, if you already have Kubernetes clusters running in your GCP account, a Kubernetes management fee will be applied for an additional cluster.

If you are finding that cost prohibitive, we have an identical application on the Digital Ocean Kubernetes store you could use. You will note, they do not apply a Kubernetes Management fee. From looking at their pricing calculator, that should be around $20-$25/mo.

Let me know what further questions you have.

Graham

This discussion has been closed.