getting error message: Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date an

Options
francisfrancis
francisfrancis
Community Member

Hello all,

New here, ( newbie in general ) - anyways, I am begining to use 1password, and would like to use the 2fa feature. Following directions, I got an authenticator.
I like Authy, so I got for my iphone and proceeded to setup. However, when I go to activate it and try to enter my first 6digits to set it up or to turn on 2fa i get this error message and cannot proceed further, ( not being able to complete the setup for 2fa ) -->

"Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time." ???

I have tried many times with Authy ( remove app and reinstalling app ) I checked and syncd my time on the pc and on the iphone and all settings are correct and same time and zones.

I read some previously mentioned issues in this knowledge base, but no clear answer or solution is shown ?

I also tried Google Authenticator and same issue, same error? ---- HOWEVER, Microsoft Authenticator seems to work, no issues, it issued a 6 digits and I was able to turn on 2fa inside 1password.com page ???? and it seems to work from the iphone as well ??? How weird.

But,- I do not like MS Authenticator,,,, I want to use Authy,,,,,or Google Authenticator,,,,,

I am running Windows 11 pro - with 1password desktop and as an extension in MS Edge ( everything is fully updated )
I am using a iphone 13 max with latest ios ( and again all the time and date settings are sync'd up )

Can someone please help me with this issue ? I am not a techie, but I like to use 1password fully with Authy as 2fa as recommended.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• RealAct
    RealAct
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm I think you are confused with the 2FA aspect of 1Password, but I might be wrong.

Please notice that 1Password IS a 2FA app itself, besides just a Password Manager. It can provide you with the 2FA codes needed to login to sites, as well as store the 2FA Account information for the different sites.

In other words, you don't use apps such as Authy or Google/Microsoft Authenticator in conjunction with 1Password. 1Password does it all for you if you want it. You can use one or the other. Many people might like the convenience of having one app doing it all, while others might like an app for passwords and another for just 2FA.

Hope this helps.

• francisfrancis
    francisfrancis
    Community Member
    Options

What ? Wow, this exploded my mind or thinking,,,,, You might be right, I thought it was recommended to us an authenticator such as Authy ( or MS Auth or Google Auth ) with or inconjunction with 1password ??? For added security ??? How did I think like that ? I thought I saw or read it on the setup info or installation instructions for "turning on" 2FA ?
    i am so confused right now,,,,,, should i or shouldnt i ?

• francisfrancis
    francisfrancis
    Community Member
    Options

I double checked inside 1Password.com with regards to "turning on" 2FA, and it specifically says to use an authenticator, ie Authy, etc to enable this feature ? Am I missing something here ?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @francisfrancis !

Yes, you are right. You could use 1Password as an authenticator, but to unlock 1Password with 2FA itself you need an external authenticator app.

If you have trouble on your PC to get the 2FA code working, you should check the time on your PC. Try https://time.is/ to check the time on your PC.

If this result is shown, 2FA should work.

• Hi @francisfrancis:

As @DenalB and @RealAct mentioned (thanks to you both for the assist! 😎), it's possible to both enable two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, as well as use 1Password as a two-factor authenticator for other services.

If you scan the QR code to set up two-factor authentication for your 1Password account in both Microsoft Authenticator and Authy in a single step rather than clicking next after using Microsoft Authenticator to scan the QR code, so both authenticator apps are using the same QR code, do they provide the same two-factor codes? Let me know!

Jack

• RealAct
    RealAct
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Wow @francisfrancis Even though the rest of the information I provided is accurate, I totally forgot the part that you indeed will need a third party app to protect your actual 1Password account with 2FA. I use the Yubico Authenticator App along with a Yubico hardware security key for that.

I'm so sorry about the misunderstanding and that I caused confusion, my apologies.

• francisfrancis
    francisfrancis
    Community Member
    Options

Its ok no apologies needed, I was just trying to read and attempted to follow setup directions. So, anyways, what I am at now is, things basically work for me---- now.

Here's the long version. After 5 attempts, trying different things, I finally got an authenticator to work for me in setting up 1password. At first Authy would not work, giving me the "Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time." error.
    So in trying to troubleshoot the issues myself, based on what i could glean from the 'net,......
    I checked and rechecked my date and time settings on the PC and the iPhone to no avail, as the settings were already correct, but in trying to get it to work, I went ahead and kept attempting to adjust the times by changing the time-zones and testing and then re-setting the dates and time zones back to correct times, and switching the automatic settings on and off.
    I also deleted the Authy ios app many times,,,,,(4-5) .

Finally, after doing this, over the course of 2 days, everything ( Authy ) finally worked !!?? I almost fell down. I dont know what sequence of events finally made it work ? In otherwords, all of a sudden, the 6 digit numbers finally was synched and I was able to enter them in the app and it worked and i was in,,,,,,, scary,,,,, I dont know what happened. But 2FA is now "Turned-On" and working in 1Password. And Authy is working?

I now have Authy on my iPhone and also on my PC ( for multi-device usage ). And I have 1Password working on my iPhone and the PC and as an extension on MS Edge browser. So currently all is well in OZ ? Amazing adventure.

As another side note, during my trials and tribulations, I also tried "Google Authenticator" and ran into the same errors, BUT, since I did not like or want to really use Google Auth, I just deleted it. --- AND, and, I also tried "Microsoft Authenticator". - It WORKED ????? - whoa,,, no issues at allllllll ???? Amazing,,,,,, so that kind of threw the whole "time and date" error I was recieving with Authy- threw it sideways ? I was really wondering what was going on ????

But, I went back to Authy and like I said, after the 5th time, everything worked ???? Go Figure,,,,,

• Hi @francisfrancis:

Glad to hear you were able to sort it all out in the end. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with in the future! 😀

Jack

This discussion has been closed.