Master password vs. account password

joangoddard
joangoddard
Community Member

I'm migrating from 1Password 6.x.x on MacOS to 1Password 8 for Families (via 1Password 7 as instructed). As part of this process, I selected an account password. While wrestling with updating my iPad to use the new account, I discovered that prompts for the master password were really wanting my account password (don't ask me how many times I typed my master password before I figured this out!). Is the master password no longer relevant in the 1Password 8 world, and should I then be using a lengthy hard-to-guess account password?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: Mac OS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @joangoddard:

Great question! Your account password is what protects your 1Password account, so picking something strong, but memorable is definitely your best bet. We have a guide here on how to pick a great account password: How to choose a good 1Password account password

Jack

• joangoddard
    joangoddard
    Community Member

Thanks, @Jack.P_1P. I learned how to pick a good password back when I started using 1Password in 2015. But I'm still wondering about whether the account password replaces the master password in the world of 1Password 8. Or is there a role for both?

• Hey @joangoddard:

Thanks for following up. You're absolutely right. The account password is now what you'll use to unlock the 1Password apps. With that said however, 1Password 7 (on your iPad or if you have an iPhone) will still refer to it as the master password.

Jack

• joangoddard
    joangoddard
    Community Member

Thanks for confirming, @Jack.P_1P.

• You're very welcome @joangoddard! Feel free to get in touch if you need any additional help migrating. 😀

Jack

• joangoddard
    joangoddard
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P You folks have the BEST customer service!

• Thanks joangoddard. We're find of you too.

This discussion has been closed.