"1Password can't verify that Safari should have access to your item"

Options
skatch
skatch
Community Member

I just opened a new Safari tab, hit cmd+/, selected a login and hit enter to autofill. I then was presented with this alert:

I don't understand what this means and which option I should pick?

(I'm also sort of irritated that I'm even having to post this, because this is a core feature that should just work. Why is 1Password is showing me some kind of alert and asking me to make a choice?)

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Small correction: I hit cmd+\ to bring up quick access

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

I was also very confused by this.

As far as I can tell, the solution is to go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and allow 1Password to always have access to all websites, as discussed here:
    https://1password.community/discussion/126244/safari-setting-always-allow-on-this-every-website

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @DavidB but this is a different issue. I've already granted 1Password access to all websites.

This alert is a little different than the one in the thread you pointed to and appears under a different condition. It happened after taking the following steps:
    1. Open a new blank tab
    2. Press cmd+\ to bring up 1Password browser extension
    3. Search or select a site, and hit enter to autofill
    4. This should load the website and autofill the password. Instead it showed me that alert.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Bumping this issue as it's easily reproducible. One of my common use cases for 1Password is using it as a website launcher after opening a new browser tab, and this is broken in v8. Here's a screen capture:

In the above video, I've opened a new tab, brought up Quick Access, selected a site, and hit enter. Two problems:
    1. It shows an alert instead of just opening the website I selected.
    2. Even hitting the default "Fill Once" button doesn't do anything.

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

@skatch

Thank you for following up. Command-Backslash is the keyboard shortcut for filling in the browser but, since you don't have a website open yet to fill into, it sounds like you're looking for the Open & Fill function instead. Can you please try the following:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Open a new tab.
    3. Press Shift-Command-Space on your keyboard to open Quick Access and search for an item. You'll notice "Open & Fill" next to that item instead of "AutoFill".
    4. Press Enter.

Let me know if that helps. 😊

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha. I can confirm that I get the "Open & Fill" behavior when doing this via Quick Access.

Can Command-Backslash work this way on empty tabs as well? (It would make sense, given that it brings up the UI that enables choosing a website to go to. And this is how v7 works, so hopefully there's no technical reason that it can't work this way.)

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Also FWIW that "Fill & Update Login" button makes me slightly nervous. I'm not sure what it's going to update, but I don't want to accidentally hit it & mess up saved login info.

• Hey @skatch:

Great question. Fill & Update Login saves the details of what app the Login item was filled into, so it will be automatically suggested next time.

I'll share your thoughts about the behavior of ⌘+\ when pressed on an empty tab with the team!

Jack

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P

The “fill & update login” makes sense how you’ve explained it. I think it’s just confusing that it shows up as an option in this context, since I’m on an empty tab.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@skatch

I'm sorry for the confusion, our team is discussing continued improvements to Universal Autofill and hopefully this is a place where we can improve the wording and functionality in the future. Thank you again for your feedback. 😊

• josmo
    josmo
    Community Member
    Options

I've had the same problem going on except with Brave browser - however when I use the fill & update login - from that point on it will try to use that specific username and password for all other site log ins - Then if I try the auto-fill again it will use the correct one. I really don't like this for more then just the inconvenience since it tries those creds on all sites the first time around. Anyone know the way to fix this? Thanks!

• Hi @josmo:

What you're seeing with Brave is a separate issue that hopefully should be sorted out very soon. Keep an eye out for updates!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#16119

This discussion has been closed.