Getting 1Password6

TobyT
TobyT
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have just signed up so I can move my LastPass data to 1Password, but I absolutely have to have version 6 to work on my Mac 10.10.5 system which will NOT be updated. I am truly desperate because I could not get LastPass to ever authenticate my devices for use during frequent hospitalizations last week. I can't find anywhere I can select version 6 on the site; can't email support; can't do anything. Have I wasted my time?
Toby

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.10.5

Comments

• Hi @TobyT

Thank you for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear you've had to be in the hospital.

1Password 6 is no longer being updated and is largely unsupported (our support team can help with upgrading from it). You can download it here, but I cannot guarantee that it'll be compatible with modern versions of 1Password:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

my Mac 10.10.5 system which will NOT be updated

I cannot recommend connecting such a system to the internet. Apple no longer supports Mac OS X 10.10, it is no longer receiving security updates, and hasn't been updated in 4 years.

Perhaps if you can share a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish we can make a more tenable recommendation? I'd love to be able to better help here, but based on the constraints you've outlined I do think you're going to have a difficult time, to say the least.

Ben

• TobyT
    TobyT
    Community Member

Thank you so much, Ben. I have downloaded 6.88. I understand your concerns, but honestly there are irrelevant to me. I don't give a !@# that Apple doesn't support Yosemite. How can 6 not be compatible? I don't need a "modern' version. All I need is the ability to safely store my passwords on my desktop (which LastPass could do) and my two devices (which LastPass manifestly could not do) so I can connect with medical records. It is only two medical record sites that I care in the least about using on mobile devices. Otherwise I would stick with LastPass Premium. I may decide to forget 1password and just have my medical records out there using passwords saved in Firefox, etc.
    Toby

• @TobyT

All I need is the ability to safely store my passwords on my desktop

That's the key I'm trying to get at here. If you're connecting an operating system that is 4 years out of date to the internet, that is inherently problematic from a security perspective.

How can 6 not be compatible?

1Password 6 was last updated 4+ years ago. There have been two major versions and years of work since then, including work on fundamental concepts such as how the app stores data. As such, I can't promise that 1Password 6 is going to work alongside 1Password 8, or that 1Password 6 is going to run & be functional on newer devices.

All I need is the ability to safely store my passwords on my desktop (which LastPass could do) and my two devices (which LastPass manifestly could not do) so I can connect with medical records

Could we maybe take a step back for a minute and discuss what those devices are, and what the constraints are? I'm still hopeful that we can help you come to a solution that is both convenient and secure.

Ben

• TobyT
    TobyT
    Community Member

The devices are an old iPad 12.5.5 which will not be updated either and the worst cell phone ever, a Motorola 5g ACE which is unreliable. I prefer the iPad when I have wifi.

Look, I am not inexperienced in computer safety. Nor with technology. I have had personal computers since 1985. I quit updating Windows XP in 2005 after too many bad experiences with security upgrades. In 2009, I managed to move my data from a custom-created desktop with a failing motherboard to a iMac. After several dismal experiences updating the software (including doing my own rollback which I would NOT recommend to anyone), I settled on Yosemite. When I needed a new iMac, I found a refurbished one with a better, more reliable chip to run Yosemite. I am extremely careful online. I do not use any social media at all! My passwords have been protected by Last Pass. I run Sophos, as well as Malwarebytes on the desktop. I have both clones and backup on Amazon S3.

The more I hear from you, the less positive I am about switching to Password1. LastPass works okay on my desktop but won't authenticate my devices. Okay. I can always remove the two medical record sites from LastPass control, create new, understandable passwords, and set up a link on my iPad which I prefer because I do not care for the google interference on my android phone. I do not intend to use anything other than news sites (AP, BBC, New York Times) on these devices: not Amazon, or any other critical site.

• @TobyT

Thanks for continuing the conversation. It sounds like you have a pretty firm grasp of your way forward at this point. I'd just highlight a couple of important points:

• We can’t recommend using 1Password on a device that isn’t receiving security updates
    • Many of 1Password’s offered protections come from the underlying operating system, and if that operating system is left vulnerable, then it’s possible that 1Password itself may also be vulnerable
    • While you've mentioned some practices that may very well be valuable in helping you stay secure (only visiting trusted sites, avoiding social media, etc), there are an entire class of vulnerabilities that don't rely on any explicit action by the user to exploit. Sometimes simply having a device connected to a network or the internet can expose it to malware

In any event, I hope you're able to find something that meets your needs and helps you stay secure. 👍️ Best of luck, and please don't hesitate to reach out if there are additional questions we can help with.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.