Autofill stopped working in browsers after update to 1Password 8

Hello there,

I've updated to 1password 8 and after the update autofill stopped working accurately on my browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). By accurately I means that sometimes it works and sometimes it don't and I don't understand why....

My previous workflow was, I either click on the 1Password icon or execute the global shortcut and 1Password popup show up and autofill worked every time.

Now with the update, the 1Password icon is not always visible in an input (why ?), but when it appears and I click on it, sometimes it works but more frequently nothing happens... Same thing with my previous global shortcut that I used, when I pressed it sometimes it works sometimes it don't…

My current solution is to open 1Password, search for my password, copy paste user and password... Not really productive...

What I did so so far to troubleshoot :

• Open Terminal and run /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app => Nothing changes
  • Checked that Browser connection is setup => Checked but extension don't show up on Safari

I really think it's a global issue because I have the same behaviour on the 3 browsers I mentioned earlier in the post.

I hope you'll be able to help me cause it's really disappointing...
Thanks for reading

Comments

• jbleuzen
    jbleuzen
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

The solution to my problem was to uninstall 1password8 and rollback to 1Password7.
    Well done and thanks for your help ;)

• mjclemente
    mjclemente
    Community Member

I'm worried that I'm going to need to do the same. Any answers from 1Password folks on this?

• Hey @jbleuzen:

I'd like to apologize for the delay here. That definitely doesn't sound like the experience we want you to have here. I'd like to ask you (and @mjclemente) to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Jonathanlloyd
    Jonathanlloyd
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Am also having this issue. Incredibly frustrating. Since the update to 1Password 8 on Mac, Autofill is not working—not autofilling at all. I have to fetch the user name and password for each site that requires such. Am now searching for a 1Password alternative, but am more than willing to give it another shot, if someone can offer direction.

Should I also submit a diagnostic report, etc?

• Jonathanlloyd
    Jonathanlloyd
    Community Member

In researching this issue, found an interesting review of 1Password at Wired.com. In it, the author says, "But on MacOS Monterey, I've had problems with (1Password 8) autofill not working, keyboard shortcuts stopping until I relaunch the browser, among other issues."
    So, apparently not an issue unique to the contributors in this thread.
    Hoping that the 1Password team is working on a remedy.

• Jonathanlloyd
    Jonathanlloyd
    Community Member

Just to make sure that nothing bizarre hadn't happened to our MBP, we installed Bitwarden and tested its autofill functionality. Worked fine. So, have migrated to that until we hear back from 1Passsword.

• mueez
    mueez
    Community Member

Happening to me as well.

• Hi @Jonathanlloyd / @mueez:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have with 1Password in your browser. Can you both follow the steps I shared above, replacing the username with your respective username? Thanks!

Jack

• robcostin
    robcostin
    Community Member

Me too - and the behavior is unpredictable and all over the place. Sometimes I click the 1Password icon that appears inside the user name field and a popup tells me to click the 1Password icon in the title bar. That's super useful! Sometimes it gives me a poup button for the web site in question but clicking it does nothing. Sometimes I have to dismiss the 1Password popover widget and click the icon a 2nd time to get successful results. Sometimes I have to relaunch Safari. And sometimes nothing works. Super frustrating. Before 1Password 8 I had a standalone license and it always worked reliably.

• Jonathanlloyd
    Jonathanlloyd
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P,
    Yes, have submitted the info you've requested above.
    Thanks

• jbleuzen
    jbleuzen
    Community Member

Hi,
    I just drop by to see if anybody had the issue and hoping for a solution... but no

I have sent the diagnostic and here is the id : [#TKW-73753-435]

Maybe it has no link with the issue but sometimes when I need to authenticate I have this weird message :
    1Password 7 asking for touchId but I have 1Password 8 installed

Actually 1Password is barely useable, sometime it works and sometimes it dont... Another thing I don't understand and looks like a bug : When I do a cmd+W it kills the application

Regards

• Hi @jbleuzen:

I've located your email to us, so we'll be in touch soon.

ref: TKW-73753-435

@Jonathanlloyd:

I wasn't able to locate any messages from you in our email system using either the email address you've used to register on the Support Community, or any messages containing your username: Jonathanlloyd. Did you receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID? Let me know!

@robcostin:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have when using 1Password in Safari. Just as a first quick step, does restarting Safari improve your state of play? Let me know.

Jack

• robcostin
    robcostin
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

@Jack.P_1P

Sometimes restarting Safari works, but not always. It's not an acceptable solution, of course, because restarting often means losing my place on other open websites.

Note - I have been corresponding with Errol (businesssupport@1password.com). I sent screen recording videos of 1Password failures. If you'd prefer for me to send my screen recordings to you directly, just let me know where to drop them.

Rob

• Hi @robcostin:

If you're in communication with us via email, continuing the conversation there would be best. Thanks for letting me know!

Jack

ref: ZD 49118

• jbleuzen
    jbleuzen
    Community Member

For those who are interested I had to check the option "Keep 1password in the menu bar"

I don't like to have an icon for that in my menu bar but if I want auto-fill to work I have to do this. I wish that the 1Password 7 way of doing the thing will be implemented on day...

• Hi @jbleuzen:

That's indeed correct. As it currently stands, if you quit 1Password without that setting enabled, Autofill will no longer be available until you next launch 1Password. We're continuing to evaluate the situation however.

Jack

• griffin33
    griffin33
    Community Member

I have the same problem, and I do not see a solution here yet.
    Since updating to Version 8.9.4, the autofill function does not work. When I place the cursor in the field and hit CMD-\, a window pops up saying "Search 1Password". This is not helpful.
    Can you help me with this?

Browser: Safari 15.6.1
    MacOS 12.5.1
    PS. I have tried (1) restarting Safari (2) Reinstalling the extension (3) Using Chrome

This discussion has been closed.