Manual Sync for Browser Extension

qzzb
qzzb
Community Member

Can we have a manual sync option? If you make a change to a 1Password object on the website or in the mobile app, the web browser app is out of date. Have to close my browser to update the items.

This is using a 1Password account. Have noticed this on IOS browser using the extension as well, but more annoying on the Mac.

1Password Version: 2.3.3
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS Safari Extenion

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @qzzb, when you make an edit or update, the changes should automatically sync as soon as possible. If the changes do not sync to the extension, then my recommendation would be to lock/unlock the extension. That should bring over the changes.

I do want to note though that you shouldn't have to do that very often. If you have to continuously "force" the extension sync, please let us know so that we can help investigate the issue further.

• qzzb
    qzzb
    Community Member

And what about other devices? I.e. add something on my phone, but not on my Mac? Locking and unlocking with entering passwords all the time feels long winded when a sync button would be quicker

• Hi @qzzb:

Generally speaking the changes should appear within a few seconds even without locking and unlocking 1Password. If that's not what you're experiencing, as Joy mentioned, we'd be happy to take a closer look.

Jack

• pftomas
    pftomas
    Community Member

In my case locking and unlocking doesn't help. The extension is still stuck not seeing any changes. I've tried disabling and enabling the extension in Chrome and that didn't help either. I've tried restarting the browser. Nothing! It's not syncing no matter what I do. How do I force the sync?

• qzzb
    qzzb
    Community Member

Why do we not just have a manual sync option in the apps and extensions? I get it should happen automatically but I find that mostly it doesn’t and it’s a constant issue.

Adding a manual sync will just sort this and give a fail back surely

• Hey @pftomas,

I think it would be useful if we could further investigate your situation as this doesn't sound right at all.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Hey @qzzb,

If 1Password is working as it should be then a manual sync button shouldn't be necessary. If this is an ongoing issue for you then we'd be more than happy to investigate. I understand that locking/unlocking isn't ideal but we wouldn't expect this to be needed often.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member

@qzzb

The only way I have found to force a sync is by going to Safari Preferences --> Extensions and turning the checkbox for 1Password for Safari off and the on. This causes an immediate update.

I did delete and reinstall the extension, reboot my iMac and get to sync automatically for a while. Then it went back to not syching. I even sent in some logs to the support team and they found some commincaion issue between the extension and the cloud.

Seems this is an issue for some people that may be a bug that only shows in certain extension configurations.

• pftomas
    pftomas
    Community Member

Hey @steph.giles, I've since decided to stop using the browser extension altogether as it was more trouble than it's worth. Apart from noc syncing at all, the interaction between the extension (used for work passwords) and the built-in password manager in Chrome (personal) was less than ideal. I installed the desktop app instead. Now I need to manually copy paste passwords, but that's not much worse than all the fiddling I had to do to activate the extension for selected websites… I guess I'm a corner case so let's leave it at that.

• lysander
    lysander
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

This is the procedure I used to get it working for a while, but not a permanent fix:

1. Remove the 1Password for Safari extension by going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > 1Password for Safari and clicking Uninstall.
    2. After that, clear your cache and history in Safari with the steps here: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/clear-your-browsing-history-sfri47acf5d6/mac. Make sure to select "All Time".
    3. Reinstall the 1Password for Safari extension from the Mac App Store.
    4. REBOOT
This discussion has been closed.