1Password 8 can't copy password while editing

Options
halorrr97
halorrr97
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Since switching to 1Password 8 I'm not able to copy a password while editing or generating a password entry. This is inconvenient when trying to generate a password for a site without clearly defined password requirements where trial and error is required.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Leszek
    Leszek
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• halorrr97
    halorrr97
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like the latest version of 1Password fixed the majority of this https://releases.1password.com/mac/beta/#changelog

We’ve fixed an issue where the options to cut or copy were unavailable when editing password fields in items.

Still can't select/copy the password within the generator though

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @halorrr97, that's strange. Could you take a screenshot of where you're expecting to select/copy the password and share it with me? I want to make sure that I'm following - I'll do my best to help.

As a note, there's not a way to attach a screenshot to your reply. However, you can link to it, or you can email the screenshot to us at support+forum@1Password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• halorrr97
    halorrr97
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P Sure, in 1Password 7 I was able to select and copy the password during generation so that I could easily trial the password on sites without posted password requirements to see if it works before choosing to use it. This is the field I'm trying to select / copy from:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/106250633/170265506-143feacf-53f4-4ed7-90f4-347f678b96ca.png

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@halorrr97 Thanks for sharing that, and I'm sorry for not replying earlier. It looks like you're generating a password from the 1Password 8 app. You're right that there's not an option to copy that new password from there.

I can leave feedback about making it possible to copy newly generated passwords from the app. However, I do want to note that you can copy new passwords from the Password Generator in extension. Because most people use the extension to generate new passwords, that is where that feature has been most applicable. Is there a reason why you're generating a password from the app and not from the Password Generator in the extension?

I do recommend using the extension to create new passwords but if using the app to generate passwords is important to your workflow, please let me know. I'm happy to share your use-case in the feedback to our developers.

• halorrr97
    halorrr97
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P

I do want to note that you can copy new passwords from the Password Generator in extension. Because most people use the extension to generate new passwords, that is where that feature has been most applicable. Is there a reason why you're generating a password from the app and not from the Password Generator in the extension?

I had to dig to find what you were talking about. If I click the extension and click the "New Item" button to create a login for a new site, it opens the app. Or if I click Edit on an existing item it opens the app as well.

After clicking the small hamburger menu I found the Password Generator and have played with it a bit. It does not have the advantage of being able to directly tie the password to a Login item, that step becomes manual. It also doesn't remember my settings, it defaults to "Smart Password" every time even if I usually use the Random Generator.

This discussion has been closed.