Any way to have 1P fill in selected digits or letters where a site requires it?

Options
Mark Sealey
Mark Sealey
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I use several sites (usually banks) where my password consists of, say, 16 characters; and I am asked, say, for the 5th, 11th and 12th of these.

Is there a way in which 1P can detect which (usually three) characters I am being asked for and fill those in, please?

I currently use the 'Show in large type' option, line that floating window up and copy so as not to make a mistake.

My sense is that such matching is beyond the capability of even the wonderful 1P…?

TIA!

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: About to upgrade to 1P 8
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• @Mark Sealey

Sorry for the delay in responding! You're right, financial institutions are notorious for implementing security measures that make it difficult for their clients to rely on password managers to securely autofill their credentials. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's beyond the capabilities of 1Password. I've been able to customize some Logins to be able to facilitate single character request. That said, not all financial institutions that rely on this method of authentication use the same HTML standards, so it's hit and miss.

I'd be interested to see if there's something we could do to help in your case. Is the page, where you're trying to fill, publicly accessible? If not, I'd like to ask you to grab some page details for us:

1. On the page exhibiting the behaviour, right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    3. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    4. Send the downloaded .json file to us at support+x@1password.com with a link to this discussion.

We'll have a look and let you know if we can make it work.

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @ag_chantelle

Please don't apologize!

I appreciate you must be truly inundated - especially with the wonderful new 1P 8 - for which, many thanks :-)

I've just sent the .json file to that address.

Thanks again!

• Thanks @Mark Sealey! I've been able to locate your message, let's continue our conversation there. 😊

ref: HFT-59927-478

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Of course, Chantelle. By email? Yes. Thanks :-) Your help much appreciated…

• Hi @Mark Sealey:

It looks like we were able to get you sorted out via email. Please feel free to reach out if there's anything else we can help you with in the future. 😀

Jack

ref: HFT-59927-478

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jack!

Yes, Chantelle kindly logged this for further investigation by your team…

There is one thing that I'd like to ask, though, please; only a small point for the future: would it be possible for users to set the length of the popover which appears for 'Show in Large Type', please?

I've always found its display really useful. But for long passwords it wraps and - with the new font in 1P 8 - can be awkward to read in conjunction with the form on some web pages.

This discussion has been closed.