The benefit from 1Password 8 on Mac, on Windows & feature request & bug report

Mattis
Mattis
Community Member

Hi there!

Yesterday, I installed 1Password 8 on my new Windows machine.

Since I use that PC for playing games, I quickly noticed that something is missing. Universal-Autofill on Windows - it was a hassile to sign in into any game account. On my Mac would It be one finger click to sign in. I needed to copy and paste the password / username several times. Of course that works as well, but the Universal-Autofill feature is so comfortable.

I already posted that on Twitter and got the answer that it is on the way to Windows. I just want to post that here in the Forum as well, to get a even noiser voice. That's something game changing and makes me happy as an 1Password customer.

Another thing I want to share is something like a feature request and (maybe) an bug report:

As on the Mac, there is the new search bar by pressing CTRl+SHIFT+SPACE. While in that bar you can search for items in your vault (on the Mac - the ability to use Universal-Autofill) and you can copy the password and username by pressing different shortcuts. Exactly here is the point: The command shortcut to copy the password will not work. If I press CTRl+SHIFT+C the password not be copied.

Are you guys also experiencing the same issue?

Now to my feature request: It would be great to be able to set own shortcuts for this matter. Like copying the password or the username.

Thanks for reading!

Mattis

1Password Version: 1Password 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home

Comments

• Hi @Mattis, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. 😃

Of course that works as well, but the Universal-Autofill feature is so comfortable.

I know, right?!? Now that Universal Autofill exists, I want it across platforms too. Originally Apple's Accessibility API is what enabled our developers to do this on Mac, but it's great that efforts are now underway to bring similar functionality to other platforms too. Fingers crossed. 🤞

You noted:

The command shortcut to copy the password will not work. If I press CTRl+SHIFT+C the password not be copied.

That's strange. I did try to reproduce this but haven't been able to so far. I'll be happy to dig into this further. Here's a few related questions:

1. What specific version of 1Password 8 are you on? For example, 8.7, or 8.6, and so on.

If you're not sure, you can find this by signing into 1Password for Windows, then selecting ** (â‹®) > Settings > About**. You should see your version listed there.

1. What app or window are you trying to paste the password into?

2. Does Quick Access provide any visual indication that the password is copied? When it works, it should briefly flash the listed item, almost as if you had double-clicked the entry with your mouse. If you don't see that, that might be confirmation that copy is for some reason not being invoked.

I'll be interested to know more about this, and will follow up with our developers as well to see if they know anything about it. Thank you for notifying us of the issue!

ref: dev/core/core#14121

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P!

Thank you very for your reply, I really appreciate it :)

My replies to your comments:

Sound's great. I really can't wait to see Universal-Autofill on Windows!

1. Great question: I really use the latest version of 1Password. (1Password for Windows 8.7.0)

2. I tried the TeamSpeak 3 client for example and the Epic Games launcher.

3. No, there is no visual indication. Copying the username works for me, and then there is an indication, but nothing happens for copying the password, that will not work.

Hopefully I can help.

by the way: Did you removed these little sweet emojis, like this one with the thumbs up?

Mattis

• Hello @Mattis, thanks for getting back to us and providing the details.

You've provided two examples with TeamSpeak and Epic Games Launcher, I'm also not seeing an issue here. Based on your original message, it seems like the Copy Username (Ctrl + C) is working. If this is the case, it leads me to believe that something else on your device might be making use of the Copy Password (Ctrl + Shift + C) shortcut. As a test, can you try restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try using the 1Password Quick Access feature again to see if the Copy Password short starts working again? Please let us know.

by the way: Did you removed these little sweet emojis, like this one with the thumbs up?

Those emojis are gone, but the standard emoji from your system will work. 😀

• Mattis
    Mattis
    Community Member

Hey @ag_mike_d!

Thank you for your response and sorry for my late reply.

I'll try that out and give you the result. I just want to say that this issue also happens on other Windows machines I own.

I think that's very sad that you/your team removed that emoji's, I loved them. But don't worry - I'll survive. :D

Have a great day!

Mattis

• Hi @Mattis, thanks for getting back to us.

We seem to be getting some mixed results. I've done some additional testing on our latest Nightly as before and still an not able to reproduce this behaviour. However, both a test with our Beta and Nightly versions on my family's person Windows device results in the same behaviour you are seeing in Quick Access - Copy Username works, but Copy Password does not. This issue has been previously filed internally and I've added some additional details for the team's investigation.

While I understand a few extra steps will be involved here, the following work flow should help to copy or drag and drop the passwords from Quick Access:
    1. Open Quick Access (Ctrl + Shift + Space).
    2. Search for the Login you need to fill the password for.
    3. Use the right cursor key (->) for More actions.
    4. Open Item in New Window (Ctrl + O).
    5. Click the password to copy it or drag and drop the password to the password field in the application of choice.

We appreciate the update and report of this behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.