To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

.EU domain is using .COM domain for sharing passwords / GDPR Violation ?

soll86
soll86
Community Member

Hi Support,

I am using the 1password.eu domain and all my information should be stored there.
While sharing a password to someone via link for example, the shareable links that I get generated from 1password.eu are still using 1password.com.
As I am on the .EU domain should the share links not be coming from the .EU domain?
How is 1password keeping my info in .EU if the information I share is on the .COM domain?

Inspecting the network tab in the dev console does not load anything for .EU domain while accessing and viewing the shared password by the receiving party.

If your URL generator is using a .COM domain, I would expect some artifacts to load in .COM , but not the actual shared password to be in the .COM site.
In best case scenario: It should eventually send me to the shared entry in the .EU domain , but it is not happening.

Again, in the whole process of user accessing the link in the browser & actually seeing the shared secret , there is no trace of the .EU domain in the network logs and the browser remains in the .COM instance.

As the shared password once opened is present in the .COM domain, I believe that if you store it there and that you are in violation of the GDPR laws.

Please investigate this.
Thanks !

1Password Version: All Versions
Extension Version: All Versions
OS Version: Windows / Mac
Browser:_ All versions
Referrer: forum-search:.eu .com share

Comments

• soll86
    soll86
    Community Member

• soll86
    soll86
    Community Member

None of the captured items in the network traffic connect to 1password.eu.

Final obs. is that, even if the redirect is done on the backend, the final result (the actual values of the shared secret) are presented in the 1password.com site.

• Hi @soll86:

Great question. Our share.1password.com server is hosted in the EU, specifically Germany, and all three 1Password regions (.com, .ca, and .eu) use that server for the purposes of sharing links, and no other 1Password data is stored there. We touch on it in our security guide about item sharing: About the security of sharing items using a unique link

Jack

This discussion has been closed.