To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Having setup 2 yubikeys for 2FA, is it possible to delete the use of OTP use by Authy, etc?

Options
Nickt3
Nickt3
Community Member
edited July 2022 in Memberships

For use with any OS that is.
I got hacked pretty severely last month. Had Authy setup, but not security keys, eg Yubikeys.
Is there an option to turn off the use of Authy, etc., once 2 or more Yubikeys are setup to use for 2FA signin?
Or, is there a need to keep Authy or similar, for use with 1Password.
I was able to turn off use of an Authenticator app for 2FA with Google and rely on Yubikeys for a new login.

Thoughts, opinions, advise is certainly welcome!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Having setup 2 yubikeys for 2FA, is it possible to delete the use of OTP use by Authy, etc?

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Nickt3! 👋

At the moment it's not possible to remove your Authenticator app as a second factor for a 1Password account. Historically the reason for this was because not all of our client apps supported Security Keys as a second factor so it was still necessary to enter a six-digit code from a user's Authenticator app in order to add a 1Password account to those client apps.

However, we've now added the ability to use Security Keys are a second factor to all of our client apps and that sets the foundation for us to be able to offer users the choice to only use a Security Key as their second factor. This is something that our product team is looking into and I'll let them know that you'd like to see this functionality in the future.

For the moment, if you'd like to avoid using an Authenticator App you can print the TOTP secret to keep with your Emergency Kit then delete the Authenticator app from your phone once configured.

I hope that helps. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-677

• Nickt3
    Nickt3
    Community Member
    Options

What you say makes sense, I just need to ruminate on it to understand...
    Thank you!

• Nickt3
    Nickt3
    Community Member
    Options

I guess the question I have what are client apps in relation to 1Password?

• Dave_1P
    edited July 2022
    Options

@Nickt3

"Client apps" refer to the 1Password apps that you install on your devices (Mac, Windows, iPhone, Android, etc...) as opposed to the 1Password.com service. 🙂

• Nickt3
    Nickt3
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, the muddy waters are becoming clearer...
    Yes, definitely, re "This is something that our product team is looking into and I'll let them know that you'd like to see this functionality in the future".
    What would the need be to keep the TOTP Secret? re: "if you'd like to avoid using an Authenticator App you can print the TOTP secret to keep with your Emergency Kit". I assume that it will be needed until the choice of using only a security key is provided.
    Thanks

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.

I store my details on my Emergency Kit and then keep it in a locked floor safe. I would 100% recommend keeping the code. As a general rule I always suggest keeping anything 1Password related secret. I believe that is where Dave was coming from.

This discussion has been closed.