1P for Safari loses focus on unlock

Options

When I need to unlock 1Password from Safari (e.g. by pressing Cmd+Shift+X), a new window opens and I enter my password. After the unlock, the focus is not returned to Safari, or at least not in a "correct" way. Keyboard input does not arrive in the web page, I need to Cmd+Tab to some other app and return with another Cmd+Tab to be able to interact with the web page again. That's quite annoying as almost every time I need 1Password, it needs unlocking (which is absolutely fine; it's the usability disruption after unlocking that annoys me). Apart from always having to press Cmd+Tab two times, is there a way to fix this behavior? Used to work just fine with older 1Password versions.

1Password Version: 8.7.3
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• @DarkDust

Would using the shortcut Command + \ work for you? It should trigger the biometric login and then fill in the details. I prefer a more hands-on approach (selecting my login)—too many duplicate services. I find myself using Quick Access and Universal Autofill. I have been slowly trying to break my muscle memory. Perhaps it will be something you can make use of? Optionally, you could use the escape key to dismiss the box. I much prefer double using the same shortcut to dismiss the prompt. In 1Password for Safari (Cmd+Shift+X)

Get to know Quick Access
    Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

Coming at this from another point of view and using what you do now. Could you invoke the shortcut and then use the arrow keys to select the appropriate login (assumes more than one) and then press return to fill those details? The first return press would fill and the second would submit the data. The act of filling should dismiss the window.

• DarkDust
    DarkDust
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy: Cmd + \ is not much of an improvement. When I'm on a login page in Safari, and press Cmd + \, after unlocking 1Password I see an empty search field with no suggestions. I have to enter the URL or website name, and it then does get prefilled, but it's even more cumbersome than having to press Cmd + Tab twice. (BTW, I do not have a Touch ID capable keyboard.)

• DarkDust
    DarkDust
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I can press Cmd + \, unlock, then press escape and the website at least has focus (but offers no prefill for the selected username field).

At this point, Cmd + Shift + X at least works, then. Still breaks the flow, though. Cmd + \ then shows the search bar and this time does have suggestions.

• Does your saved site in question have a matching URL in 1Password? If so, 1Password should be comparing those and offering suggestions for you.

• DarkDust
    DarkDust
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Yes, it does have matching URLs, and once unlocked, I do get auto-complete suggestions both when I just enter the username field or when I use Cmd + \.

However, if 1Password is locked, I press Cmd + \ with focus in the username field and unlock, then the search bar is not showing suggestions for this site. I can then press escape and focus is back in the username field. Pressing Cmd + \ again then does show suggestions.

• Hi @DarkDust:

This is something we're tracking, so keep an eye out as we continue to make improvements here.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.