Looking for 1 Password helper...

Options

I just upgraded to 1Password 8. I can log into my account, but I cannot use it in my browser. I get the following error message "Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us." I have upgraded by browser (Chrome), I have restarted by laptop, I have logged in and out of 1Password. How do I get this to work again? Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @deborahlynne:

If you're seeing "Looking for 1Password helper", it's likely that you still have our older classic extension installed. 1Password 8 doesn't support that extension, only our newer one, 1Password in the browser. You can get it here: Get started with 1Password in your browser

After adding it to Chrome, choose the puzzle piece in Chrome, then "Manage extensions". Remove "1Password extension (desktop app required)". Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• deborahlynne
    deborahlynne
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jack - that seems to work. Seems to be a bit clunkier than before? I seem to recall in the past when logging into a site i could just hit the extension button and it would automatically fill in the username and password and sign me in. Now when I hit this new extension it goes to the 1password program and may or may not open the correct 'file' (sometimes I have to locate it myself in my list) and then I have to hit autofil. It works, but maybe not as seamless as before? Also curious why when prompted to upgrade to 1password8 it didn't either just upgrade the extension automatically, or let me know that I would need to delete the old one and upload a new one. I am not tech savvy at all, so maybe it is just me . But glad it is working now. Thanks for the help!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @deborahlynne!

Now when I hit this new extension it goes to the 1password program and may or may not open the correct 'file' (sometimes I have to locate it myself in my list) and then I have to hit autofil.

When you click on the extension it should prompt you to unlock your account. If the browser integration feature is on, then the 1Password app would appear for that to happen. However once you unlock your account, your web browser should be brought back to focus. 1Password's inline menu would then appear with the suggestion relevant to the site you're on. Is that not happening for you? Is your browser not coming back to focus after you unlock the app?

Also curious why when prompted to upgrade to 1password8 it didn't either just upgrade the extension automatically, or let me know that I would need to delete the old one and upload a new one.

The two extensions are separate and different, so a single update wouldn't do the trick. And we've tied all our documentation for saving and filling to the new extension, where there are links to download it. That said, I do think we can do a better job of helping users who have the classic extension transition over to the new extension. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. I will share your feedback with my team.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.