Blank login suggestions from 1Password 8

Options
J4rm4n
J4rm4n
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Android

After upgrading from the previous version of 1Password, I no longer get login names in Firefox - only a small nameless icon in a pop-up. Here follows an example:

Needless to say, I never experienced this issue before. I even tried to disable Autofill in the phone settings, reboot and enable it (I'm on Android 9) to no avail. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Hello @J4rm4n thanks for letting us know about this issue.

It looks like this may be an issue with the theme as the drop down menu is not blank but showing white text on an off-white background (I've removed the screenshot for this reason). I'm not able to reproduce the same results in Firefox with the devices I have on hand. Does this only occur for you in Firefox? I'd also like to ask you to try switching the theme on your device as well as in Firefox to see if there's any difference in behavior. Thanks again!

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hey Timothy, on my device Firefox is set to match the Android theme - which is always dark. However that doesn't seem to be the culprit as I get the very same result by switching to the default light theme too.
    I then tried to login from the very same page with a dark-themed Firefox on my iPhone and it doesn't even ask me to choose a 1Password 8 login. Only after manually typing the e-mail address in it asks me for the NYT password saved in 1P8.
    In the end it seems to me there's some incompatibility between Firefox and 1P8 no matter what the platform / theme is. Let me know if I can provide you with any dump file(s) to narrow your search.

• Hello @J4rm4n thanks for looking into that and apologies for my delay in reply.

I think this may have something to do with the interaction between how Android 9 handles device themes, 1Password 8 and Firefox as, the handful of similar reports I've seen have those three in common. We've filed this as an issue for further inquiry. If I remove the suggestion strip from my keyboard on Android 12 this is what I see in Firefox:

However that doesn't seem to be the culprit as I get the very same result by switching to the default light theme too.

Did you switch only Firefox's theme or your device's as well?

I then tried to login from the very same page with a dark-themed Firefox on my iPhone and it doesn't even ask me to choose a 1Password 8 login.

Are you consistently seeing filling issues on the New York Time's website in Firefox? On the NYT page I could successfully fill my test credentials. Have you noticed any other sites with similar issues?

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Timothy, thanks for digging further into this. I tried switching Firefox's theme only, the device's theme only and both of them back and forth - basically covering all scenarios - and never got the 1P8 login suggestion to show up properly.

As to the way Android 9 handles device themes, I guess you might be onto something as to this day GMail supports the light mode only and Google has no plans to introduce dark mode support under Android 9. Maybe they just thought it was not worth the hassle - and I'm planning myself to move to an Android 13 device in the near future anyway.

And yes, I'm still having filling issues on that NYT page in Firefox regardless of the mobile platform. However I never log in through the website on my mobile devices - that was just a test to show you the issue I was having as otherwise I always use the NYT app.

I will make sure to report any other page where I happen to experience the same issue. Thanks again for your help!

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    Options

I have just discovered that the latest 1Password 8 update has made the app unusable as it crashes upon launch (I briefly managed to log in just once after deleting the app, rebooting the device and reinstalling the app). On the Google Play Store, another Android 9 user has left a review to point out the same issue.

And yet for some reason, when I try to log into the Guardian.co.uk website, Firefox shows me the same pop-up I got on the NYT website asking to autofill the fields... with the NYT credentials!

• Hello @J4rm4n thanks for following up with me.

After my message on the 17th I filed an issue with the development team as I don't have an Android 9 device to dig in any further with. Thanks for confirming those details and letting us know this has been an issue for you.

I suspect the crash you mentioned is related to a bug with version 80902003 specifically on Android 9 devices. The development team has marked this as a high priority issue and we are already testing a fix internally which should be available with upcoming beta and production releases. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, and if there's anything I can help with, feel free to ask.

when I try to log into the Guardian.co.uk website, Firefox shows me the same pop-up I got on the NYT website asking to autofill the fields... with the NYT credentials!

On the Guardian website, if you tap Open 1Password, are the NYT items in the suggested list? Does your Guardian login item have a saved website other than Guardian.co.uk or any linked apps? Are you using a beta or non-production version of Firefox? Thanks again!

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    Options

On the Guardian website, if you tap Open 1Password, are the NYT items in the suggested list?

Yes, that's right.

Does your Guardian login item have a saved website other than Guardian.co.uk or any linked apps?

No, only Guardian.co.uk.

Are you using a beta or non-production version of Firefox?

I'm using the latest production version.

Thanks again!

You're welcome - cheers and thanks again for your help!

• Hi @J4rm4n, thanks for following up! First I'd like to mention version 8.9.3 has been released today and it contains a fix for the Android 9 crash issue. If 1Password isn't set to update automatically, you can check the Google Play store for an available update as it rolls out.

When you went to the Guardian website was a New York Times page open in another tab? Which version of Firefox is installed on your device ( ⋮ > Settings > About Firefox)? If you use any other browsers have you noticed similar behavior there?

cheers and thanks again for your help!

I'm always happy to help and I really appreciate your input!

• J4rm4n
    J4rm4n
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hey again Timothy, I've installed the latest version of 1P8 and:

1. It does not crash anymore whenever I select the Items tab.
    2. The 1P8 suggestions are still displayed with white text on an off-white background (as expected for now, I guess).
    3. You might be able to replicate the issue I am having with the Guardian website by visiting it through Google News (instead of Firefox, which seems to be working fine), You just have to select any Guardian article and tap on "Sign in" to reach the page where the issue is taking place.
      The only reason I can think of for the NYT credentials to be suggested there is that I have used them before to log into the NYT website through Google News. So it might be fair to assume that - once you log into any newspaper website through Google News - 1P8 might be tricked into assuming that you are still visiting that paper's website and to suggest the wrong credentials as a result.

For your reference, here is a screenshot from my device:

• klhsa9acsb
    klhsa9acsb
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same issue as @J4rm4n . My autofill screen looks the same as the above screenshot. This is on the latest 1P8 on Android 9 running on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 w/ the Edge browser. The only way Ive found to make the auto fill option text show up properly is to turn off the system wide dark mode.

• MelissaAW
    MelissaAW
    Community Member
    Options

I'm another user with this problem, but on a Galaxy S9 on Android 10, and so far I've only tried in Chrome. It only happens at night, but it's not just system-wide dark mode that's doing it; I just switched to dark mode during daylight hours, and it loads fine. I also tested with system-wide dark mode on + the blue light filter (during the day) and that doesn't seem to trigger the problem, either.

@ag_timothy - Do y'all need/want more diagnostic details? If so, I can find what combo of things works/doesn't work this evening.

• Hello @J4rm4n, @klhsa9acsb, @MelissaAW. We've followed up with the development team about this. I don't have any information to share at this time when a fix will be available but it is on our list. Thanks very much for you patience here and I'm sorry for the trouble.

@J4rm4n

The only reason I can think of for the NYT credentials to be suggested there is that I have used them before to log into the NYT website through Google News

I think your guess is precisely right here. Unlike browsers, apps and most in-app browsers don't distinguish between different sign in pages. So, even though you're on The Guardian, 1Password just sees Google News and will suggest Logins used with Google News. You can open your New York Times item in 1Password and check for a Google News app link to confirm.

If you prefer to sign into news sites through Google News you can delete the Google News app link in your New York Times item then tap Open 1Password > search and select your item > Fill Once. This takes extra steps to sign in but helps ensure the wrong Login isn't inadvertently selected.

Alternatively you can add a Google News app link to other items by tapping Open 1Password search and select your item > Fill & Update Login. This option will require additional caution to ensure you select the correct item from the drop down.

@klhsa9acsb, thanks for letting us know this workaround has helped. Between your keyboard, browser and device settings is there a specific combination that works or doesn't?

@MelissaAW, very interesting that it has been caused by certain adaptive brightness or theme settings! I don't think the 1Password diagnostics would capture anything useful in this case but if you see a specific combination that causes the issue I would be happy to pass that along to the developers.

Thanks again everyone!

• klhsa9acsb
    klhsa9acsb
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy it's seems to have this problem regardless of browser. I think it's just something to do with how 1password handles dark mode on older Android versions.

• Thanks for following up with me @klhsa9acsb, I believe you're right about that. I know that the initial reports came in specified Firefox but I've heard of others now as well.

This discussion has been closed.