Difficulty creating password

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I go through a lot of rework steps every time I try to create a new password. One of the biggest annoyances is that when 1P suggests a password, I do something to record that password because 1P does not always remember it, and while doing that, by the time I come back to the field, 1P has created a new password.

This has been a long standing problem. 1P is great at creating a password, but it always creates another one before I can use it. This typically happens three or four times. I would hope that once it creates a password, it should keep that every time you go back to the field. What purpose does it serve to blow it away and create a new one? I cannot think of a use case for this UX. Generate and keep it. That should serve the purpose.

I wonder if others have this problem.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: 12.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @jasimon9:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have when using 1Password in the browser to generate and save passwords. Is there a specific site where you're having trouble with generating a password, so I can take a closer look?

Jack

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

More trouble with creating a new password.

I have had a lot of trouble doing this via the extension in Safari. So today I tried something different--load the desktop app and change it there. That seemed to work in the desktop app. However, the extension will not pick up the new password. I have tried several times, restarted browser, etc. No matter what I do, the old password is still in the extension. So I have to change it manually.

Version 7 seemed to just work. Version 8 just has so many problems.

One of the annoying issues is that very frequently I have to login to 1P twice when using the extension in Safari. The first login attempt will present the old-style dialog that hangs off the browser icon. Then when I try to use 1P, the new-style larger window opens and I have to login a second time. This is so amateurish, it surprises me that you team lets such a ugly bug remain.

Another frequently occurring annoyance that is cosmetic is that the old-style login dialog hanging from the browser icon does not close. It just stays there with "unlocking" and the spinner. At first I used to think 1P was locked up and I could not go further. Later I discovered it was just a dialog box that did not close, and I could just ignore it or close it, and proceed to login.

I have reported this before and I believe uploaded screen shots. But for your convenience, here is the screen shot again.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Here is another case. It seems this function is permanently broken for me in Safari. Never works anymore. Another thing that does not work is Open & Fill. The open part works, but the fill part rarely works anymore.

Here is a screen shot of inability to save a new password. The Save button is dimmed out. What I normally do is make a screen shot of the suggested password, and manually create the login item, tediously copying the 20-character random password into the new item, and making sure to get it right.

• Hey @jasimon9,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in your browser. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Created a new login and it once again would not save it. Unfortunately, I did not remember to enable the log before doing it.. Since 1Password will never save a password, I a long in the habit of taking a screen shot of the suggested password and then manually setting up the login, which includes the tedious copying of the 20-character random password

If I do not do this, there is no way that I know what the password for the newly created account was, and I have to do a password reset; again a tedious procedure.

This is a very old ticket. Yet the problem just occurred for me today, where I created a new password, 1P would not save it, and I had to manually copy it from the saved screen shot.

More to come.

• Hey @jasimon9,

I'm sorry for the ongoing trouble, were you able to send over the details above so our team can delve deeper into the issue you are seeing?

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

I have just discovered something that might be part of the cause. When you use the 1P suggested password, I was expecting it to populate right away. It looks like "nothing happens". But in fact if you wait 7-10 seconds, it does populate the entry field on the web form, and also update in the 1P database and widget.

So this issue is not that "nothing happens at all", it is that the expected time for the action to complete is longer than expected, so I prematurely think nothing is happening.

This is on an Apple Studio so it is not a case of a slow computer.

I am thinking that perhaps the browser and extension interface plus online update just happens to take that long. So a simple approach without dealing with the underlying delay would be to display a spinner or similar to indicate that the user should just wait.

• Hey @jasimon9,

Thank you for the update, it sounds like it may be an issue with 1Password in your browser connecting with your 1Password app. Can you try the steps below so we can see:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings
    2. Disable 'Integrate with 1Password app'
    3. Test to see if things work as expected
    4. If this improves things, re enable this setting and see if the issue persists.

If it persists then the logs above would be useful for us to get to the bottom of the issue.

Let us know how you get on!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I have followed your steps. Will let you know.

• Thanks @jasimon9

This discussion has been closed.