Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Removing a vault is something I’m vaguely aware of but I don’t want to create a problem for you. Hopefully they’ll get back to you soon.

• kurious
    kurious
    Community Member

Fair enough. I create enough problems on my own. Ha ha ha🤣🤣🤣

• Hi there @kurious

You can set "Auto-lock on exit" to a maximum of 8 hours in the Security section of 1Password's Settings on your iPhone. The 2 weeks you mentioned refers to how long Face ID or Touch ID would work before prompting you for your account password as a reminder. It can be set to 2 weeks, 30 days, or Never, but won't have any impact in keeping 1Password unlocked.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• kurious
    kurious
    Community Member

Hi, Grey,

I've tried various settings in both of those to work around the "Face ID doesn't work on the iPhone".

I was told they have a fix that will be released in the next update.

Thank you.

• @kurious (Me again!)

Yes, the fix for this issue will be included in the next update.

• kurious
    kurious
    Community Member

Hi @GreyM1P i'm looking forward to it. I'm grateful that 1Password 8 works on my iPad mini.

• seanzxx
    seanzxx
    Community Member

Is there any new update?
    This problem is really annoying, another month has passed and it still hasn't been fixed.
    I highly doubt that you are even working on it. I've been dealing with this problem for half a year now and have to enter a password every time. Are you considering any compensation?

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi team

I Reset all my 14 Pro phone settings this was due to system glitches not remembering settings ... However, since then 1Password wont unlock with FaceID and I have to enter my password every time.

I've gone as far as deleting 1P and turning off and on FaceID settings - but still the problem persists - if I check my settings - FaceID in 1Password is enabled ...

Then when I try to use FaceID - i see the iOS system big green tick at the top of the screen - but then 1Password has an error 'that didn't work - check your password and try again'

Help please :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:faceid that didnt work

• Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update for anyone who might have missed Ben’s post earlier: Our developers have identified the cause of the issue and have written code that will resolve the issue for affected users. A previous potential fix that we were testing internally introduced some unexpected behaviours and our developers decided not to release it in favour of taking a little longer to create a stable and solid fix which we’re now testing. We want to make sure that we get it right so that the issue is resolved permanently for everyone.

There have also been a few roadblocks that have prevented us from sending out an update quickly but we’re making good progress in resolving those as well. I don’t have any other information to share at this time.

We really appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding while we work to get a permanent and enduring fix into your hands. Although the issue is affecting only a subset of users and not all users, my colleagues and I on the customer support team are passing along each and every report so that the development and product teams are aware of the impact that the issue is having. I want to apologize again for the frustration.

I don’t have an ETA on when the fix will be ready but this is a top priority for the team and the fix will be included in an upcoming update. Thank you again for your patience and we hope to have more news to share soon.

-Dave

• kurious
    kurious
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Thanks, Dave!

• BryanS
    BryanS
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

@Dave_1P & @Ben - After abandoning LastPass and using 1P for roughly a month, I've had no issues with this whatsoever. Then in testing our MDM functionality and sending my device a passcode reset, clearing the credentials and biometrics, I had to reissue a device pw and a setup Face ID anew. It was at this point that I encountered this issue on all phases of 1P (app, browser, settings-allow fill in from).
    Re-installs have done nothing to change it.

What's interesting is that:

1) The majority of my other apps that use Face ID recognize the password/FaceID change and prompt me to log in manually to reset the function on the app. Some require you to log back into the app and turn Face ID back on. I'm no cryptologist, but it seems like something is hashed/cached internally, tying the app credentials to FaceID. 1P makes no acknowledgements or changes in relation to the iPhone's standard/biometric credential change.

2) You'd think that uninstalling would clear whatever credential is stored but when I reinstall the app, it knows my account and automatically asks me to log in. I thought that could be coming from the cloud, so I tried "Deauthorizing" my iPhone to lose the association. Still after removing 1P app, Deauthorizing via the web, then installing the app, 1Password treats it like a trusted device and just asks me for my password? It *feels as if either the app or apple is caching additional info that persists beyond the app removal.

I realize item 2 could be a separate issue of it's own, but I see it as related as it could be preventing a potential user-side fix for item 1. (if any of this is on point. 0:)

Looking forward to seeing your solution manifest!

• @BryanS

Thank you for passing along your observations and I'm sorry that you're also affected by the issue. Our developers have a fix ready and we plan to release it as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

• sjirkaltena
    sjirkaltena
    Community Member

I used 1Password with iPad Pro 2022 and iOS 16.3. It worked fine with face-id. Then I had an issue with connecting a headphone to the USB-C connection and it was suggested to me to wipe all settings of the iPad. Then face-id did not work anymore whatever I tried. Thanks to a community member I reinstalled 1Password7 from my purchases and face-ID worked again! I have no explanation for this.

• YourNameHereX
    YourNameHereX
    Community Member

My Face ID is not working on iOS 16.3 (only on iPad Pro [3rd Gen]). Exactly like @sjirkaltena .
    This happened right after AppleCare requested that I reset because of an issue with my AppleTV devices (obviously unrelated).
    I have tried switching Face ID off and on.
    I have tried deleting 1Password, and reinstalling.
    I have tried completely signing out and signing in again.
    NOTHING. DAY THREE.

• YourNameHereX
    YourNameHereX
    Community Member

My Face ID is not working on iOS 16.3 (only on iPad Pro [3rd Gen]). Exactly like @sjirkaltena .
    This happened right after AppleCare requested that I reset because of an issue with my AppleTV devices (obviously unrelated).
    I have tried switching Face ID off and on.
    I have tried deleting 1Password, and reinstalling.
    I have tried completely signing out and signing in again.
    NOTHING. DAY THREE.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.3
    Browser:_ Safari
    Referrer: forum-search:Face ID not working on iOS 16.3

• lurknomo
    lurknomo
    Community Member

I used “iCloud transfer” to set up a new iPad Pro (12.9in, 2022). Afterwards, Face ID for 1PW did not work. Moreover, I also could not turn on or turn off Face ID in 1PW settings as the switch was non-responsive (i.e., “greyed out”). Note that switch was stuck in the “on” position.

I was able to get Face ID working by doing the following:
    1) reset iPad;
    2) set up an “alternate appearance” for FaceID in iOS settings; once this was done, the switch for FaceID in 1PW settings was working;
    3) switched off FaceID in 1PW settings;
    4) “quit” (swiped up) 1Password, and then started it back up again; and
    5) turned on FaceID in 1PW settings.

After I did this, FaceID worked normally.

Hope this helps.

• Hi folks! Thank you for your feedback here, and for letting us know the impact of this issue for you.

We have some news: there are substantial improvements to FaceID coming, as part of a major update to 1Password - which is arriving soon.

While this update contains a lot of improvements, our developers have been giving extra attention to the iOS experience.

In addition to many improvements to FaceID unlock, the update will also include:

• search within a list of items
    • default vault for saving
    • PIN unlock
    • Better VoiceOver support
    • offline indicator for when you don't have network connectivity
    • advanced domain / subdomain matching
    • ability to turn off auto-submit for Universal Autofill

And quite a bit more. The full details are covered in our latest blog post.

We know that this FaceID issue has been a high-impact one and are looking forward to sharing this update with you. Thank you again for your patience, and there will be more to come soon!

This discussion has been closed.