1password window was displayed but will not allow me to enter master password

cappy
cappy
Community Member
edited August 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Windows 10 Enterprise

Can't find the 1PW version #, it should be under Help/About but there is no Help/About screen.

I tried logging in to a website, clicked the 1 PW icon in the website login dialog, but nothing happened.
I then clicked the 1PW icon on the taskbar, and the 1P screen is displayed. There is no place to enter the master password.

Clicking on "Open 1 Password" in the dialogue below, still did not present me with a place to enter the master password.

1Password Version: 8.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @cappy:

It looks like 1Password in the browser is having some trouble communicating with the 1Password desktop app. As a quick first step, if you fully quit both Chrome and the 1Password desktop app (right click the 1Password icon in your notification area in your taskbar, choose Quit) and then relaunch them both, does that improve your state of play? Let me know.

Jack

• Mihaly
    Mihaly
    Community Member

I had the same problem and by accident, I was able to open it in the browser. Hopefully it will work for you.

1. Quit 1Pasword on the MAC desktop.
    2. Click to open 1Password in the Chrome browser.
    3. Open 1Password on the desktop.
    4. Now the 1Password should be open in the browser.
  • cappy
    cappy
    Community Member

Wow, Aug 19th. I did not get notification of your reply, until @mihaly replied. I've even search my spam folders, no reply until today.
    Is the forum SW broken?

I cannot duplicate this problem easily, it happens now & then. Will try your suggestion if/when it happens again.

@mihaly - I am on Windows (but have a Mac too. I'm not seeing this issue on the Mac though.

• Mihaly
    Mihaly
    Community Member

It probably works the same way. In other words, you need to open the browser extension FIRST, and the desktop version SECOND. When you open the browser version WITHOUT the desktop version being open, the browser version is "spinning", showing that it is waiting for the desktop version to synchronize with. When you open the desktop version, it will synchronize with the browser version and both of them are happy (for 10 minutes, when 1Password logs out by default and you have to log in again.) At least that is my best guess.

This discussion has been closed.