1pw 8 for IOS is not auto filling passwords in browsers (except safari) or apps

Options
mforce_2000
mforce_2000
Community Member
edited August 2022 in iOS

IOS 8 is not auto filling passwords when I click in the login or password field. I end up having to open 1pw to get the info i need and then fill it in manually. This is very annoying. I tried restarting, however it still does not work.
1pw is enabled in the IOS password autofill settings.
FYI, I am running the public beta (16.0) of IOS. 1pw is filling passwords in safari.

1Password Version: 8.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 16.0
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mforce_2000! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that Password AutoFill is not working to fill logins from 1Password into apps on your iOS device. When you tap on the username or password field in an app do you see "Passwords" appear above your keyboard? If you don't then I would like you to double-check that you have turned on AutoFill to work with 1Password 8 (not 1Password 7):

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > AutoFill Passwords.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

If that still doesn't work then can you provide the name of one of the apps that isn't working so that I can test it on my end? Please make sure that you do not post your login information, just the name of the app.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

When I tap on the username or password field in the browser (or app), I do not see "Passwords" appear above the keyboard. I have set up autofill passwords in the iOS settings. I have tried unchecking it and then checking it. I have also tried restarting the phone. It still does not work. It works fine in safari, but nowhere else. It doesn’t work in opera, edge, Firefox, or chrome.

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. 1password on iOS is not useful if it will not fill in login id/password.

• JRandomPerson
    JRandomPerson
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same experience with 1Password 8 and Chrome on my iPhone 11 Pro with up to date version 15.6.1 of IOS. "Passwords" does not appear above the keyboard in Chrome when I tap on a username or password field. My IOS has Settings/Passwords/Autofill Passwords enabled with only 1Password selected. My 1Password Settings/Autofill has "AutoFill", "Show filling suggestions", and "Copy One-Time Passwords" enabled.

1Password 8 is working fine with Safari on IOS.

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone please help?

• @mforce_2000 and @JRandomPerson

I'm sorry to hear that you're both running into an issue where Password AutoFill is not filling a login into a website. Password AutoFill is handled entirely by iOS, 1Password just provides the data for the experience, and if the "Passwords" prompt is appearing above the keyboard when you tap on the username or password field in Safari and not Chrome then it sounds like there might be an issue with how Chrome is interacting with Password AutoFill.

So that I can look into this further are you able to post an example of a website that is working in Safari but not Chrome? Please do not post your username or password, just the website address.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

• JRandomPerson
    JRandomPerson
    Community Member
    Options

Autofill sort of works on Amazon, but there is no sign of autofill with Chrome on Amazon.

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

I am providing 2 examples. Both are “amazon”. One is from safari and the other is from chrome.

https://ibb.co/TTg2GL2
    https://ibb.co/RSkWGrj

• @JRandomPerson and @mforce_2000

Thank you for the reply. I've tested Amazon.com using Chrome on my iPhone and I can reproduce the issue. When you tap on the "Email or phone number" field on the Amazon.com website Password AutoFill doesn't identify the field as a username field. However, if you type in your email address, tap Continue, and then tap on the password field on the next page, Password AutoFill does offer a login suggestion there.

I definitely can see how this behaviour is not ideal. Password AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS itself so we are unable to control which fields get identified and filled when you tap on a field since 1Password only provides the data for the experience. As you both mentioned, Password AutoFill is working fine with Amazon.com in Safari so this might have something to do with how the page is rendering in Chrome. I suggest reporting the issue to Amazon so that they can investigate why Password AutoFill is not being triggered on their website in Chrome.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better solution to provide. If you're open to using Safari then you can use the 1Password for Safari web extension. 1Password for Safari features greatly improved filling capabilities and offers an experience that is similar to what you're already used to with 1Password for the browser on the desktop. Here is a guide on how to enable 1Password for Safari on devices running iOS and iPadOS 15: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

-Dave

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

It is not just Amazon where this is occurring. There are many other sites that I visit that exhibit the same symptoms. The user ID field is on the first page, and the password is on the second page. The password is filled properly by 1P, but the user ID is not. However, safari fills the user ID correctly. Why does this work within safari, but not in other browsers? I have different user ID’s for each site and some are complicated and not easy to remember. I expect 1P to assist me with this, after all, that is it’s job.

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

I'll add another observation. On both windows 11 and macOS, 1P is properly filling in user ID and password in chrome.

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

The following is from the 1Password website:

1Password can record your usernames and passwords when you sign in to apps and websites. Our automatic form filler allows you to sign in to your online accounts with a single click, look, or touch.

Available for all devices, browsers, and operating systems. 1Password syncs your data seamlessly between devices so you always have your passwords with you.

Please fix this problem. 1Password is not working as advertised.

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

Is this problem going to be fixed? Suggesting using safari is not an acceptable answer. Your marketing clearly states that this should be working in all browsers. If the problem is within iOS, will you work with apple to find a solution?

• Hi @mforce_2000:

As my colleague Dave mentioned, Password AutoFill is handled by iOS (and the relevant app) directly, rather than 1Password. 1Password provides a list of credentials (a URL, a username, and a password) to iOS, and iOS performs the entirety of the form recognition and filling.

If an app or website isn't flagging login fields appropriately so that iOS AutoFill can recognize it, that would be best brought up to the developers of the app or website.

I wish I had a more satisfying answer to give you.

Jack

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The ability to fill login ID's and passwords has been working for a long time.
    It is very frustrating that this important feature of 1Password isn't functioning as it has been.

If the problem is within iOS, will you work with apple to find a solution?
    Is this the way 1Password on iOS will work from now on?

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Here we are almost two months later and this is still not working. Correct me if I am wrong, but one of the most basic purposes of 1Password is to fill in login ID's and passwords. This functionality has ceased working on many websites. I have been monitoring this forum and there are many others looking for a solution to this very same problem. Are you even working on this? Please let me know if this is the way 1Password is expected to work from now on. Until there is a fix for this problem, 1Password is very difficult to use. Copying and pasting does not provide the seamless experience we have become used to.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2022
    Options

@jimkika

Just to confirm: you're able to use Password AutoFill to fill a login on a website using 1Password 7 and not 1Password 8 and you can still reproduce the issue? If you have a website where you're currently seeing this behaviour then can you tell me the website address so that I can take a look? The detection and filling of fields is entirely handled by iOS (as I mentioned above) so there shouldn't be a difference between the two versions of 1Password.

@mforce_2000

Are you even working on this?

I've spoken to a developer and they've confirmed that a bug report has been filed with Apple. My recommendation is that you use 1Password for Safari for the best filling/saving experience on the iPhone and iPad: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

-Dave

• mforce_2000
    mforce_2000
    Community Member
    Options

The issue still persists. It is quite annoying and makes filling passwords very difficult. I can use Safari, however I use other browsers for specific circumstances. I'm pleased to hear that you have asked Apple to look into this. Is there a way to get status updates on the progress of the request?

• bennettdh
    bennettdh
    Community Member
    Options

We are now in December 2020, over 2 years later and it stil does not work in Chrome. What kind of outfit is 1Pasword?

• @bennettdh

Can you clarify where you're having an issue? You can fill your logins and passwords in Chrome on your iPhone or iPad by using Password AutoFill:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login in Chrome using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

• CD2
    CD2
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I just set up and am having the same issue. Everything seems to work fine on the PC, using Chrome.
    On the iPad (iOS 15.7.1), I downloaded the 1Password app and logged in to it. When I try the Safari browser, it seems to work. When I log in to a site, a gray bar appears at the bottom of the screen, gives me the option to use my saved login, then asks for the 1Password password, and fills the site's password automatically. I have tried this on several sites and it's fine.

But when I switch over to Chrome, nothing. I can open the 1Password site in Chrome. (And yes, in iPad settings I have password options set to "AutoFill Passwords" and I have 1Password selected, and both Keychain and Chrome unselected). Chrome continues trying to use its own autofill. I can go into Chrome settings and turn off its "Offer To Save Passwords," but there is no indication in Chrome settings that it recognizes that 1Password is on the device. Powering off and then on had no effect.

So in summary, " You can fill your logins and passwords in Chrome on your iPhone or iPad by using Password AutoFill" is not true. In Safari yes, Chrome, no.

Unfortunately I have a lot of cross-device functionality built into Chrome so simply switching to Safari is not an option.

• german640
    german640
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also having problems with AutoFill broken on iOS. It is specially frustrating with my main banking app and web page, since it asks for the password several times during a session and every time I need to open the 1password app and manually copy and paste the password from there.

Issue with the web page: username field gets filled in with the password (https://www.banorte.com)
    Issue with the app: tapping the "Passwords" field on top of the keyboard opens 1Password with zero suggestions, so I need to manually search the site. Once I find it and click on it the password is correctly filled in (https://apps.apple.com/mx/app/banorte-móvil/id374817863)

• 1pwcommunityuser
    1pwcommunityuser
    Community Member
    Options

1Password DOES autofill in chrome. I think the distinction here is that in chrome, SUGGESTIONS for 1pw passwords to autofill do not appear. (But they do appear when using Safari)

Instead, you must tap “Passwords” to open 1Password, find the relevant entry and then autofill.

• Shutez
    Shutez
    Community Member
    Options

It’s not just chrome. It’s all browsers except Safari. It’s especially a problem in the in-app browsers. 1 password simply no longer works as advertised. It’s a major problem.

• bkcomms
    bkcomms
    Community Member
    Options

This isn’t an iOS issue. I’ve been using LastPass for years and have never had this issue. In fact, it was working today until I finally made the switch over to 1Password. But, if 1Password can’t auto fill in chrome where I do all my work on my iPad, then what is the point? This isn’t an iOS issue, it’s a 1Password issue. You have a golden opportunity since LastPass has really blown it with their breaches. But, I’m not about to switch to a sub-standard option. This needs to be fixed immediately, just like your importer from LastPass which also isn’t working.

• bkcomms
    bkcomms
    Community Member
    Options

Update to my comment above. I realized that it works fine for me once I remove the keyboard associated with the iPad. Then the normal iOS prompt does appear for auto-filling of passwords in Chrome. This is a different behavior than for Safari which works regardless of the keyboard being attached or not.

This discussion has been closed.