Upgrading to v8 Broke My Browser Extension on Firefox

fanchergw
fanchergw
Community Member
edited August 2022 in Lounge

I have been using the older Firefox extension that supports Private Browsing Mode. It has worked fine for me ever since I started my account. However, 1Password popped up and told me to update to 1Password v8. However, doing so now means that my extension doesn't work (it remains grayed out at all times). If I install the new extension, it does not work in Private Browsing Mode.

Do I need to roll back to v7? If so, how do I do so? Otherwise, is there a way to get v8 to work with Firefox's Private Browsing Mode?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Firefox 104.0

Comments

• Hi @fanchergw:

The 1Password classic extension isn't compatible with 1Password 8. We're still investigating possible options to allow you to use our newer 1Password in the browser extension with Firefox configured to always launch in Private Browsing mode, but I can't make any promises.

Just as a note, 1Password in the browser does support being used in Firefox's Private Browsing Mode, it's only when Firefox is configured to always use Private Browsing Mode that 1Password isn't able to create some configuration files needed. If you disable "Always use Private Browsing Mode" or "Never remember history", and then manually launch your Private Browsing window, 1Password will work as expected there.

Jack

• fanchergw
    fanchergw
    Community Member

Thanks, Jack. I found the download to roll back to v7, so I'm going with that for now. Having to remember to always launch Private Windows manually is a bit of a PITA. I hope they figure out how to move the functionality into v8.

• Hi @fanchergw:

You're very welcome. Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.