Safari Extension Started Asking For Password For Every Auto Fill [SOLVED]

AMonitorDarkly
AMonitorDarkly
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

View 1Password's Approved Answer

I've been using 1P8 for some time without any auto fill issues. All of a sudden today, the iOS Safari Extension started wanting me to manually enter my password for an auto fill anytime Safari was closed and re-opened. I've always had the "Authorize After" Safari Extension setting set to "1 Week".

I tried disabling the Safari Extension, rebooting the phone and reenabling the Safari Extension. I then tried disabling auto fill on both 1P8 and iOS settings, rebooting the phone and then reenabling. Neither of which worked. I ended up having to completely uninstall and reinstall of 1P8, which was annoying, and that worked.

Is there anything else that can be done if this happens again? Is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 8.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.6.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

Same here on both iPad Air 4 (MYFN2B/A on iPadOS 15.6.1) and iPhone X (MQAD2B/A on iOS 15.6.1). Both have 1Password app version 8.9.3 installed. I started noticing this yesterday, if not earlier.

• m4f1j0z0
    m4f1j0z0
    Community Member

Yup, have the same problem on iOS 16.0.1 with iPhone 14 Pro Max. I turned the extension off because it started getting really annoying. Is there a solution for this?

• m4f1j0z0
    m4f1j0z0
    Community Member

I tried this already, but it made no difference.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

Anyone from 1P seeing this? It’s yet another chronic authentication failure which should be be addressed. This is ever more important now the iOS Safari extension biometrics have been broken!!

• @AMonitorDarkly, @hegguardo, @m4f1j0z0

I'm sorry to hear that you're being continually asked for your account password by 1Password for Safari on iOS. When you say that you close Safari do you mean that you completely close it by swiping it off of the screen? Or do you just mean that you switch to another app and then back to Safari?

For those that are still experiencing the issue can you please try the following steps:

1. Fully close Safari on iOS.
    2. Fully close 1Password on iOS.
    3. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your home screen.
    4. Open Safari and go to any webpage.
    5. Tap on the AA icon in the address bar.
    6. Tap on 1Password in the menu.
    7. Follow the prompt to unlock 1Password for Safari with your account password.

If that doesn't work then can you tell me if you're clearing Safari's browsing history/cache or running any other extensions?

-Dave

• iamaydo
    iamaydo
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, it failed at step 3 trying to open the main 1Password app and Face ID unlock failed. I continued through the steps for completeness without any result. I didn't clear Safari's cache today but I did a couple of days ago. I'm not running other extensions.

• m4f1j0z0
    m4f1j0z0
    Community Member

I went through steps 1-7 without a problem. But an hour after I unlocked 1Password for Safari it’s again asking me for the password (I have 2 weeks set for reauthentication).

I have tried reinstalling 1Password, hard closing both 1Password and Safari several times and restarting the phone. Nothing helped.

Here is the list of extensions I have installed.

• 1Password
    • Amplosion
    • Map Redirect
    • Noir
    • Open in Apollo
    • Super Agent for Safari
    • XSearch
  • rpath
    rpath
    Community Member

I am using the currently TestFlight version of 1P8(however I am facing this issue on the production version as well). I have set my safari extension reauthorization time to 2 weeks but after a few minutes of inactivity, the extension auto-locks and I have to re-enter my master password. It seems very hit or miss. Sometimes it locks itself in 2-5 minutes and other situations it takes an hour before it does. I am unsure what is causing this but I have tried the usual troubleshooting steps of reinstalling the app/restarting my phone.

1Password Version: 8.9.6
    OS Version: iOS 16.0.2
    Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension locking itslef

• byndpass
    byndpass
    Community Member

Also experiencing this on our iOS and iPad OS devices.

• @rpath @byndpass

We are investigating a report such as yours. That user noted if he used the 1 week time period things worked better for him. Can you let me know if that workaround helps you?

• rpath
    rpath
    Community Member

Hey @ag_tommy, it looks to be holding steady with 1 week selected. I’ll keep monitoring since it’s only been about 30 minutes. However, I noticed one thing which might help your team narrow down on the bug.

Even when trying to use the auto fill to put my password in(not the safari extension) I see the 1Password UI pop up but it doesn’t use my biometrics to unlock it. I had to manually tap the “FaceID” button.

Not sure if these two bugs are related but wanted to throw that out there.

• mpcsh
    mpcsh
    Community Member

@Dave_1P I've followed those steps to a T and it still asks me for a password every time. Going to try uninstalling and reinstalling.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P, thank you for getting back to us on this. For me, I am not fully closing Safari or 1Password, no browsing history or cache has been cleared and I am running no other iOS Safari extensions.

I am simply returning to the Home Screen or switching to another app. Then when I return to Safari and try to use the 1P extension, I am required to enter my 1P password. This is after only hours/days since the I last used it, definitely not the 2 Weeks as I have set in Settings -> Safari Extension -> Reauthorize After.

• rpath
    rpath
    Community Member

Hi everyone, as per @ag_tommy’s recommendation on my thread, setting the re-authorization to 1 week instead of 2 seems to fix the issue. At least so far it seems to be working.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

Thanks @rpath, I will try the same now and will follow your thread — here it is, for reference: https://1password.community/discussion/133957/ios-safari-extension-locking-itself-every-few-minutes

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

It’s bad enough 1Password took away biometrics for the extension, but why do I have to enter my master password for the extension pretty much every time I leave and come back to SafarI??

1Password Version: 8
    OS Version: iOS 16

• Hello @more_cowbell! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're being prompted for your account password each time that you use 1Password for Safari on iOS. We've received a few reports of this issue and our developers are investigating. As a troubleshooting test, can you try the following:

1. Open the main 1Password app.
    2. From the Home screen tap on the icon in the top left corner, then tap Settings.
    3. Tap Safari Extension.
    4. Set "Reauthorize After" to "1 Week".

Open Safari and unlock 1Password for Safari using your account password. Then leave Safari, wait a few moments, and then try to use 1Password for Safari again. Are you prompted for your account password?

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17626

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

Already set that way.

• @more_cowbell

I'm sorry that the steps didn't help. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• kmkoni
    kmkoni
    Community Member

Same, have to enter my password every time I want to use the extension.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

WJZ-14874-268

• f123456789
    f123456789
    Community Member

same problem

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

Came to report the same on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I realize they took away biometrics, but I have the Safari Extensions setting set to Reauthorize after 2 weeks.

If I enter my password, the extension will stay unlocked for some unknown period of time. For example I can close all tabs and kill Safari, go back in and it's still authorized. However, I might go back to it later in the day and it will be locked again.

• donald24
    donald24
    Community Member

"1 week" did fix it for me too! Thanks for sharing!!

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

@netnothing same for me, but it usually only takes a few minutes later and I go back to Safari and it’s locked again. Not consistent, other than is consistently isn’t working correctly.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Is the 1 week “fix” fixing the Face ID issue completely or are the other threads complaining about Face ID experiencing that in some other way?

This discussion has been closed.