[ Feature Request ] Backup OTP Code Section

Hello, please add a section where we could place the backup OTP codes once we complete adding 2FA for an account.

This section's visibility when shared can be turned on and off.

That way, the receiver of the account access can:

If turned off, can only see the following:
1. Username/Email
2. Password
3. OTP

If turned on, can only see the following:
1. Username/Email
2. Password
3. OTP
4. OTP Backup Codes

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Viktor_withaK
    Viktor_withaK
    Community Member

Add me to the list of people who think it would be cool to have a dedicated field for 2FA backup codes (even though sticking them in the notes works perfectly fine).

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

FWIW I already do this - I use a Secure Note with the same 'name' as the Password Item and I tag it the same but also add a unique 2FA Codes tag that I only give to these sorts of entries... See examples below:

Main Item List (all items):

Filtered using "2FA" Tag:

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

A comment on the recovery codes in general: if you use 1Password as OTP generator, it's somewhat redundant to also save the recovery codes within 1Password. If you have access to 1Password, you have a OTP and don't need recovery codes. And if you don't have access to 1Password, you don't have access to the OTP but also don't have access to the recovery codes.

So it only makes sense if the app you're storing the recovery codes with is separate to the app that is generating the OTP.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

So it only makes sense if the app you're storing the recovery codes with is separate to the app that is generating the OTP.

Absolutely @Tertius3 - I actually only have them in 1Password as a centralised secure (encrypted) digital store - I have hard copies filed safely in my home as my main backup, and am just starting to look at doing digital copies on an encrypted USB Drive as my secondary back-up (that I can store securely somewhere different to the hard copies). I just don't have confidence having them on a normal cloud storage solution even if encrypted (although may end up doing so on Proton Drive or similar).

This discussion has been closed.