TouchID stopped working since iOS16 [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• @carlwright – You're welcome. :)

• alcoons
    alcoons
    Community Member

Have an iPhone SE 2020 and waiting to upgrade to IOS (16.1.1 from 15.6.9. Does the touch-ID problem still impact most users or just a few at this point?

• jplamb
    jplamb
    Community Member

@GreyM1P - I’m having the same issue with the Touch ID. Is there any update on this please?

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P any updates? I still does not work and my iPad is my only device I still use 1PW 7 on.

• mtoomajian
    mtoomajian
    Community Member

I have the same issue on my iPad Air 5. Hoping for a fix soon!!

• Hi folks,

I still use 1PW 7

1Password 7 has been retired and is no longer under active development. The way forward with new features and fixes would be to upgrade to 1Password 8. If you haven't already discussed that path with our team I'd encourage you to reach out to us via email at support@1password.com

Hoping for a fix soon!!

There are a few different issues related to biometrics on iOS that we're working on:

1. Biometrics in 1Password for Safari, which was intentionally removed due to changes in the iOS WebAuthn framework. This came back on November 1st with the release of 1Password for iOS 8.9.7. The change does require users be running iOS 16.1 in order to take advantage of the new APIs that were included in that version. If you're still having trouble with 1Password for Safari, but not with the main 1Password app, please email us so we can troubleshoot with you.
    2. General issues using biometrics with the main 1Password app on iOS. Under the hood there are a couple different things that we're working on improving here.

I hope to have more news on these fronts soon.

Ben

• jhennes2
    jhennes2
    Community Member

What do I have to do to get Touch ID to work again?

I have reset, erased, reinstalled almost every app, fingerprint, including 1password itself,

• gaolson
    gaolson
    Community Member

On my iphone, whenever I log into 1Password I get the message "you need to enter your account password before you can use Touch ID". Touch ID is enabled in settings, yet it always requires me to use my password. IOS 15.7.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 15.7.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:you need to enter your account password before you cab use Touch ID

• Sonoran049
    Sonoran049
    Community Member

I am getting the same type of error for Face ID on my iPhone 12. And I also randomly getting an error that I need to "manually enter my password every two weeks".... even though I use iPassword on my iPhone several times a week.

• jhennes2
    jhennes2
    Community Member

We need a specific communication that a fix has been made or wil be made and when.

Please be more upfront about this and communicate more frequently, even if it's bad news.

• alvado
    alvado
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

1Password will ask for Touch ID and fail 100% of the times and then ask for password. Tried everything even reinstalling the app.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    OS Version: ios

• Pifou69
    Pifou69
    Community Member

Hi,

@GreyM1P on November 19 :

It's not just you. There is a bug in the currently-available version of 1Password for iOS which causes problems with unlocking it using Face ID or Touch ID. Our development team have solved that problem and we'll be publishing an update which includes that fix very very soon. :)

— Grey

It was "very very soon" a month ago. Will the problem be solved "very very very soon" or "very very very very soon" ?

Thanks

• As Grey noted, engineering has created a fix for the problem. The difficulty is in the logistics of getting that fix into the hands of customers. Our intention is to ship an update as soon as we can, but we have to overcome those logistical hurdles. It won't be until after the 1st of the year, I'm afraid, and then I couldn't say more specifically when it will be after that.

I understand the situation is frustrating and that you'd appreciate more communication, but that is all of the information I have available at the moment. I too am very anxious to see this fix rolled out.

Ben

• Pifou69
    Pifou69
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

It's not the answer I would like to hear, but it's an answer. Thank you for that
    I don't understand very well what is exactly the problem, but I'm not a developper
    As you said, it's a very very frustrating situation and I hope good news for 2023

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member

@Ben can you give us an update on the ETA of the fix?
    Thanks!

• Joachimvdh
    Joachimvdh
    Community Member

Touchid is actieve
    Settings in 1P are active
    Everytime I use 1P touchid fails, something went wrong and I need to enter my masterpassword.
    In other apps touchid works.

What can of need i to do, to let 1P works as intended?

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    OS Version: 16.2
    Referrer: forum-search:Touchid fails and alsways asks masterpassword

• TwisterMc
    TwisterMc
    Community Member

I had to reset my settings on my iPhone XR and I'm now unable to log into 1Password 8 with Face ID. I did not erase my phone, just the settings. I did also try and uninstall and reinstall 1Password 8, but it didn't change anything.

If 1Password is trying to re-create this issue, maybe that'll help.

If a fix is on it's way, then I can't wait!

• Joachimvdh
    Joachimvdh
    Community Member

Since update to 16.2 (from 15.x) - ipad air 3

Touchid is actieve
    Settings in 1P are active
    Everytime I use 1P touchid fails, something went wrong and I need to enter my masterpassword.
    In other apps touchid works.

Uninstall 1P, reboot, install

Still no working 1P, as intended.

What can of need i to do, to let 1P works as intended?

• Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update for anyone who might have missed Ben’s post earlier: Our developers have identified the cause of the issue and have written code that will resolve the issue for affected users. A previous potential fix that we were testing internally introduced some unexpected behaviours and our developers decided not to release it in favour of taking a little longer to create a stable and solid fix which we’re now testing. We want to make sure that we get it right so that the issue is resolved permanently for everyone.

There have also been a few roadblocks that have prevented us from sending out an update quickly but we’re making good progress in resolving those as well. I don’t have any other information to share at this time.

We really appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding while we work to get a permanent and enduring fix into your hands. Although the issue is affecting only a subset of users and not all users, my colleagues and I on the customer support team are passing along each and every report so that the development and product teams are aware of the impact that the issue is having. I want to apologize again for the frustration.

I don’t have an ETA on when the fix will be ready but this is a top priority for the team and the fix will be included in an upcoming update. Thank you again for your patience and we hope to have more news to share soon.

-Dave

• meshull457
    meshull457
    Community Member

Keeps saying “you must enter your password to activate Touch ID. after going through the set up for Touch ID, same thing comes up again!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Can’t use Touch ID on1password8

• @meshull457

I'm sorry that Touch ID isn't working to unlock 1Password on your device. Our developers plan to release a fix for the issue in an upcoming update. I provided a more comprehensive update a few days ago above: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/673140/#Comment_673140

-Dave

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member

@meshull457 can you give an ETA for the update? Thanks!

• albertvanderiet
    albertvanderiet
    Community Member

Sorry I meant @Dave_1P can you give an ETA for the update? Thanks!

• @albertvanderiet

We're not in a position to give an ETA at the moment but the team is working hard to get the fix into your hands as soon as possible. We have a blog article with more details here: Building a Better, More Useful 1Password

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.