To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

"Account password" vs "Master password"

Options
emclain
emclain
Community Member

Reading your security white paper (https://1passwordstatic.com/files/security/1password-white-paper.pdf), I am confused about the difference between "account password" vs "master password". For example, on page 10 of the white paper it talks about the "account password" + secret key, but the picture shows the "master password" and secret key.

Is the account password that unlocks the app the same password that I need to log in to 1password.com in my browser? Can I log into 1password.com on my browser without having the 1password browser extension? If not, how would the browser get access to my local secret key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.3.7
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @emclain! 👋

Thanks for catching this! "Account password" and "Master Password" refer to the same thing: the password that you use to unlock the 1Password app and sign in to 1Password.com. Account password is the term that we're using moving forward and it looks like some of the images in the Security White Paper haven't been updated yet to reflect the new wording. I've let the team know so that we can update these images to avoid confusion in the future.

Is the account password that unlocks the app the same password that I need to log in to 1password.com in my browser?

Yes, this is correct.

Can I log into 1password.com on my browser without having the 1password browser extension? If not, how would the browser get access to my local secret key?

Yes, you can sign in to 1Password.com without having the browser extension installed. When you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com you'll be asked to type in both your account password and Secret Key. You can find the Secret Key on your Emergency Kit.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: dev/content/whitepaper#102

This discussion has been closed.