1Password 8 on MacOS extremely sluggish / slow to respond

Options
parekh
parekh
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, my Mac app is very slow to respond. When I type into the search bar it takes a long time for each character to show up. I can fix this by restarting the app, but it soon reverts to the sluggish state. Any idea why this may be happening? Thanks in advance!

• About 1P: 1Password for Mac 8.9.4 / 80904044, on PRODUCTION channel
  • About Mac: macOS Monterey version 12.5.1 (21G83)

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.5.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @parekh! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password 8 is running slowly on your Mac. Can you update macOS to version 12.6 to see if that might resolve the issue: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

If you're still seeing the same issue after updating and restarting your Mac then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• cmwcatx
    cmwcatx
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running MacOS Monterey 12.6 on a Mac Studio (M1 Ultra w/64GB) and if I hit "CMD \" from within Chrome OR Safari it takes 6 to 8 seconds for the 1password dialog window to appear (or for it to autofill the form). Is it possible to downgrade back to 1Password 7?

• @cmwcatx

That definitely doesn't sound right. I'd like to ask for a diagnostics report from your Mac so that we can investigate further:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• nujwoo
    nujwoo
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Too slow on 'cmd + \'. I'm using iMac 2020, 64GB RAM, macOS 12.4.

• Varkal
    Varkal
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here on a 2021 Macbook Pro M1 Max 64 Go (macOs 12.6).
    Near 15 seconds to autofill, and all Chrome windows freeze

• stefans
    stefans
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, same here. It's almost unusable.
    I'm on 12.6 and have a 13-inch Macbook Pro 2020 16GB, 2gh quad-core i5.
    It used to run well on 1password 7.

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this problem as well

• XianNewman
    XianNewman
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

For me, it's unusable.

It takes 10-20 seconds for ⌘\ to respond, then another 10-20 seconds for the password to autofill. I'm using a 2021 Macbook Pro with M1 Pro and 16GB memory.

I've downgraded to 1Password 7 while I explore alternative password managers. Unfortunate, since I've used (and praised) 1Password since its infancy, and was about to upgrade to a Business subscription for my company.

• craigday
    craigday
    Community Member
    Options

I have also experienced this problem several times now. Exactly how XianNewman describes it.

• Varkal
    Varkal
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Sending you diagnostic reports still is the thing to do ?

• @nujwoo, @Varkal, @stefans, @chinamax, @XianNewman, and @craigday

I'm sorry that 1Password and your browser are hanging when using Quick Access. If you're still affected by this issue then I'd like to ask you to send in a diagnostics report so that we can investigate further:

ref: dev/core/core#17385

• Varkal
    Varkal
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P As requested, my support number [#KNJ-16589-352]

• Thanks @Varkal, I can confirm we've received it. 🙂

ref: KNJ-16589-352

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. Noticed recently on two recent M1 macs with latest MacOS versions and Chrome versions. Please prioritize fixing this!

• @reub

Please try a reinstall of the 1Password app and see if you notice an improvement. I had two users one here and one via email who indicated it helped them.

Your data is maintained outside of the app and will be completely safe. * Please be mindful to follow the steps below, especially the part about NOT using an app cleaner. They have been known to remove user's data, and we DO NOT want that to happen.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit.
      • If 1Password 8 is not open then please continue on.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download 1Password 8
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • reub
    reub
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thanks. Appreciate the offer of a workaround. Sadly, after trying this a week ago and observing the results, I can say the issue persists. Most often when I first try to unlock in Chrome after a period of inactivity and the most recent was over a 90 second hang during which the system "beachballs"

I really hope this is getting attention and priority from the development team as it's made 1Password (at least for me) substantially less usable.

I believe you've already collected diagnostics from other users but if helpful I would be willing to capture some as well when I can find time.

• @reub

Sure we'll be happy to help. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. Please also include a link to your questions and your username. It may help save you from needing to repeat them again.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/663477/#Comment_663477 and reub

• martinlauffer
    martinlauffer
    Community Member
    Options

i have the same Problem as XianNewman with my business account. I reinstalled 1password 8 according to ag_tommys instructions, but it didn't solve my problem. What I experienced is, that it gets sluggish if you have opened a lot of applications and the system, especially the RAM usage is on the limit. If I close most of the apps and then try to use it in chrome, then it works quick and as expected. I am using a MacBook Pro M1 2020 with 16 GB RAM, in combination with Chrome and Firefox. At the moment, 1password 8 is unusable for me and if this does not change in the near future, i unfortunately have to switch to another password manager although I love the app basically. I hope there will be a fix soon.

• bringoff
    bringoff
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. I've just recently switched from 1P7 lifetime license to the 1P8 subscription model and that's the outcome I got :( I never had such issues with the old app version. That's what happens if you switch to Electron

• aalberto
    aalberto
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here on a Macbook Pro M1 Max, OS 12.6.1
    Pressing CMD+\ is slow, it takes a few seconds.
    Never saw this in 1Password 7.

• XianNewman
    XianNewman
    Community Member
    Options

Has this improved at all, or is it still unusable?

I've downgraded to 1Password 7 until my subscription expires. If it hasn't been fixed in the meantime, then I won't upgrade from Family to Business with 1Password, I'll find another password manager.

• Hi @martinlauffer, @bringoff, @aalberto, and @XianNewman,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing slow response times with 1Password 8. If you haven't already, I recommend sending in a diagnostic report so we can take a look at each circumstance, identify cause, and provide workarounds! You can find the instructions earlier in this thread. Feel free to include any additional information such as patterns you notice, conflicting apps, websites that behave differently than others, etc.

If you're noticing a delay specifically with autofilling in Chrome, we do have some reports of users seeing better results with Chrome Canary - Google Chrome. I still recommend sending in a diagnostic report after reproducing the behaviour, but if you do try out Chrome Canary, let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to hearing from you folks and finding some solutions. 🙂

• nujwoo
    nujwoo
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P

• I have two Macs (iMac 2020 and MBP14).
    • Usually, I use iMac 2020 for all my work-related things and there are more than 100 tabs opened. As I commented earlier in this thread, I have been suffered from using cmd+\ on iMac and it has been failed since day 1 of 1P8 use on me (takes more than 30 secs for cmd+\ ).
    • With MBP14, I only check emails and read papers so there are always less than 10 tabs opened. And NO ISSUE at all with cmd-\ . It works within a second.

• So, I thought the problem in this thread could be related to the number of opened tabs in Chrome and decided to do some tests.

• Here are the test results that I've done with 1P8 (w/ Chrome extension) on my MBP14 to see/replicate this performance issue on different number of opened tabs.
    • 1 tab (facebook login page): cmd+\ takes less than a second
    • open 20 more dummy tabs (Youtube) and trying to login at the first tab (FB): cmd+\ takes 6-7 seconds
    • open 20 more (total 41) tabs: cmd+\ takes arounds 15 seconds
    • open 20 more (total 61) tabs: cmd+\ takes more than 30 seconds, showing spinning wheels, chrome does not respond for a while..., finally fill the pw, but takes 10 or more seconds to successfully login to FB, etc.

Now, I think the problem might be related to the number of opened tabs in Chrome and maybe the chrome extension iterates all the tabs to do some tasks and that makes the Autofill slow.
    I hope my experience could help to debug this issue and get resolved near in the future.

• nujwoo
    nujwoo
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P

• I have two Macs (iMac 2020 and MBP14).
    • Usually, I use iMac 2020 for all my work-related things and there are more than 100 tabs opened. As I commented earlier in this thread, I have been suffered from using cmd+\ on iMac and it has been failed since day 1 of 1P8 use on me (takes more than 30 secs for cmd+\ ).
    • With MBP14, I only check emails and read papers so there are always less than 10 tabs opened. And NO ISSUE at all with cmd-\ . It works within a second.

• So, I thought the problem in this thread could be related to the number of opened tabs in Chrome and decided to do some tests.

• Here are the test results that I've done with 1P8 (w/ Chrome extension) on my MBP14 to see/replicate this performance issue on different number of opened tabs.
    • 1 tab (facebook login page): cmd+\ takes less than a second
    • open 20 more dummy tabs (Youtube) and trying to login at the first tab (FB): cmd+\ takes 6-7 seconds
    • open 20 more (total 41) tabs: cmd+\ takes arounds 15 seconds
    • open 20 more (total 61) tabs: cmd+\ takes more than 30 seconds, showing spinning wheels, chrome does not respond for a while..., finally fill the pw, but takes 10 or more seconds to successfully login to FB, etc.

Now, I think the problem might be related to the number of opened tabs in Chrome and maybe the chrome extension iterate all the tabs to do some tasks and that makes the app slow.
    I hope my experience could help to debug this issue and get resolved near in the future.

• Thanks so much for this effort, @nujwoo! I'll share these findings internally so the rest of the team can put them to use. Since you mentioned the two separate devices, could I confirm that both are running the same versions of 1Password, the 1Password browser extension, and Chrome? If you haven't already, it may also help to get diagnostic reports from both devices so we can further compare:

These can be sent to support+forum@1password.com via email if you're open to it. I'd also be curious to know if you see any better results on your iMac with Chrome Canary.

Either way we'll continue exploring this behaviour and I really appreciate your patience and assistance. 🙂

• nujwoo
    nujwoo
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P The test was done with 1P8 (v8.9.8) and the chrome extension (v2.4.x) for both machines.
    It looked like the chrome extension was outdated a bit so I just update them to the most recent version (v2.5.0) and the performance looks better, now.
    It takes 5-7 secs to do the Autofill for 100+ opened tabs on both iMac and MBP14.
    Hope to get a consistent performance regardless of the number of opened tabs.

I will try the Chrome Canary when I have time, soon.

• chrisjensen
    chrisjensen
    Community Member
    Options

Can also confirm dreadful performance on Mac
    In general the upgrade to v8 has been a really poor experience. Autofill for credit cards has become clunkier and more annoying plus this speed issue.
    I'll be sticking with 7. If 7 were to become unavailable and this wasn't fixed. I'll be strongly considering another product

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I just activated a new M2 MacBook Air and migrated 1Password 8 over to it. I ran into another issue that I’ll have to sort out but I wanted to ask is this slowing down of the system still a problem? I had previously been using 8 on a 2013 MacBook Pro and the main app was fine but 1Password for Safari bogged down Safari unacceptably so I deleted it and just used the main app. Hooting I won’t face a similar issue with this new M2.

• lol
    lol
    Community Member
    Options

The main problem I am experiencing is extremely laggy/slow/frozen browser tab immediately after using the 1Password 8 Quick Access popup. How I can reproduce:

​​1. When on a web page in a browser tab in Chrome, open the 1Password popup using shortcut (Cmd + Shift + \ for me)
    ​2. Type in a few chars to filter to the item I want​
    3. Press Cmd + Shift + C or Cmd + C to copy either the password or username to the clipboard​
    4. Click elsewhere on the page to close the popup​
    5. Page now extremely laggy, slow, and apparently frozen; issue does not usually clear up until several minutes passes​

Emailing diagnostic report...

This discussion has been closed.