master password prompt for selected password or secure notes

I would like to request if this is architecturally viable to add another layer of security as an option to enable the master password required to view some passwords or secure notes or credit cards or identities etc. It would be very helpful to avoid accidental access which is a very likely scenario. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_maxag_max

Team Member

Hi @ikeshab, 👋

At the moment, a person can access items within a vault in their 1Password account as long as they:

1. Unlock 1Password on their device using their account password to decrypt their data.
    2. Have access to a vault (either their Private vault or one that is shared with them).

There isn't currently a way to add a second layer of decryption to an item requiring your account password. May I ask if you're wanting to restrict your own access to an item to protect it from being accessed or seen by others in your physical area? Would you rather keep team or family members your sharing 1Password with from accessing an item accidentally? Or something else entirely?

• ikeshabikeshab
    Community Member

If unattended access is made to the physical device (non-shared scenario) i.e., within the idle timeout, such a breach may result in disaster. What I am asking is, if we can just toggle the required master password to view info of any specific login (saved in the vault) or for any specific secure note in the vault would be a great feature. It should be the user's discretion to configure logins to prompt the master password; maybe a checkbox required the master password. With this, unattended access might not be able to view the info as it will prompt again for the master password for that specific login. It's understood that such scenarios may be rare or shouldn't occur at all but this is nonetheless a very viable scenario. It's sort of fail-safe or "poka-yoke" in Japanese. The criticality gets magnified when we use it for logins like for financial institutions or banks which will have additional layer protection or fail-safe.

• ag_maxag_max

Team Member

Thanks for sharing more details about your use case, @ikeshab. I've passed on your feedback to the rest of the team for consideration.

For now, aside from configuring the auto-lock settings to lock 1Password more frequently, I recommend manually locking 1Password before leaving your desk. I realize this isn't always ideal and it can be tedious, though this is the best way to keep your sensitive data secure in these situations.

Thanks for taking the time to share this and let our team know if we can be of any help going forward. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-577

• ikeshabikeshab
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_max, appreciate it!

• ag_maxag_max

Team Member

You're very welcome, Ikeshab.

• ikeshabikeshab
    Community Member

Any updates on this!

• ScottS1PScottS1P

Team Member

Hello @ikeshab,

I don't have any updates regarding this feature request. I can confirm it's on the teams radar, but don't have any information regarding if, or when, it may be implemented.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file