1Password in the browser keyboard shortcut conflicts with Google Docs

Options
Marjie
Marjie
Community Member

Hi, I use keyboard commends on google, and shift+command+X is strikethrough - only suddenly it opens 1 password. How do I make that stop? I don't see it as a shortcut in my 1 PW preferences. It's a complete mystery to me, and really annoying. I'd also like to revert to the older version of 1 PW as this new one is pretty annoying all around. Am I able to do that? Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Safari and Vivaldi (both)
Referrer: forum-search:strikethrough opens 1 PW

Comments

• Hi @Marjie,

Sorry to hear 1Password keyboard shortcuts are conflicting with other parts of your workflow. If you are using a non-US layout, I'd recommend changing or removing the keyboard shortcut associated to the action that's creating a conflict, regardless of what the current displayed shortcut is:

Note that the Autofill shortcut will also trigger Quick Access if it doesn't detect anything to autofill.

If the issue persists, I'd like to ask which keyboard layout you're using and if possible, a screenshot of what your current shortcuts are and the 1Password window that appears when you press shift + + x:

Careful not to include any personal information. I'm looking forward to your reply. 🙂

• Marjie
    Marjie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I've already done so, unfortunately. There is no conflict anywhere I can see. It's just bizarre.

• Hey @Marjie,

I'm afraid with Safari there is a limitation to the 1Password browser extension and it currently isn't possible to modify this specific shortcut.

We have an internal issue open to track this, and I've added your case to the list of affected customers. Our development team are fully aware of the issue and are working on possible solutions to be able to adjust the shortcut in Safari.

Sorry for the disruption!

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• Marjie
    Marjie
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you

• On behalf of Steph, you're welcome.

• billhorvath
    billhorvath
    Community Member
    Options

My company uses Google docs, which has at least one critical keyboard shortcut that conflicts with those used by 1Password. How do I turn off or change keyboard shortcuts for 1Password in the browser?

1Password Version: 8.9.4
    Extension Version: 2.4.1
    OS Version: MacOS 12.6.1
    Browser:_ Safari
    Referrer: forum-search:keyboard shortcuts in browser

• mcd8minskdr
    mcd8minskdr
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

I am interested in learning how to do this as well.

• Hey @billhorvath, @mcd8minskdr,

In Safari there is a limitation to the 1Password browser extension and it currently isn't possible to modify the Command+Shift+X shortcut.

We have an internal issue open to track this, and I've added your case to the list of affected customers. Our development team are fully aware of the issue and are working on possible solutions to be able to adjust the shortcut in Safari.

Sorry for the disruption!

• ryannielsen
    ryannielsen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat: I've just upgraded from 1Password 7 to 8, and frequently rely on Command-Shift-X as a business critical shortcut that's now taken over by 1Password in Safari. At the very least, I'd greatly appreciate a setting for disabling that shortcut.

• Hey @ryannielsen,

I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing you, I have added your feedback to the internal issue.

• VinceND
    VinceND
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am also having this issue. Has this been resolved?

• Hey @VinceND,

This has not yet been resolved, I have added you to the affected users.

I'm sorry for the disruption!

• 1PassPerson
    1PassPerson
    Community Member
    Options

Has these been addressed yet? Super annoying.

• meanspa
    meanspa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles, I have the same question for Chrome, does it have the same limitation? I believe in previous versions I was able to change 1Password's shortcut in Chrome but I can't seem to find a way to do it now. Thanks!

• Hey @1PassPerson,

I'm sorry for the trouble, I'm afraid I don't have any updates at this time but I have also added you to the affected users.

@meanspa,

You can change the shortcut in Chrome if you paste chrome://extensions/shortcuts into your address followed by the enter key.

I hope this helps!

• meanspa
    meanspa
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles Amazing, that did it - thanks!

• You're welcome @meanspa, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• iansaccount
    iansaccount
    Community Member
    Options

Any news. Cmd+Shift+X is the strike-through for google docs, among other things. I don't need to design any UX for remapping the shortcut, I just want to disable it.

• Hey @iansaccount,

I'm sorry for the trouble, I have added your voice to the internal issue but at this point I'm afraid I cannot give a timeframe as to when this will be resolved.

If you are not using Safari you do have the ability to change the shortcut to one that doesn't conflict. Let me know if you need any help.

• tijsverkoyen
    tijsverkoyen
    Community Member
    Options

I would also really like the possibility to disable the shortcut or change it.

• Thanks @tijsverkoyen, I have passed on your feedback.

• unverzac
    unverzac
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. I just installed 1PW8 and I have this issue with Google Chrome for Mac. Any resolution?

• Hey @unverzac,

If you are using Chrome you can change the shortcut by right clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings. Under shortcuts choose 'Change on extensions page' and then you can set it to a different shortcut.

I hope this helps!

• unverzac
    unverzac
    Community Member
    Options

sure did! thanks! I changed it to Shift-Command-1

Thanks!

• Zebulon720
    Zebulon720
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks for this workaround for this annoying bug (i.e. ill-conceived "feature").
    "You can change the shortcut in Chrome if you paste chrome://extensions/shortcuts into your address followed by the enter key."

Although it does not really work. I do not need a shortcut in my browser to open 1Password, but when I try to set it on this extensions page to have no shortcut, then close that window, the next time I open it, the shortcut is back again. The same happens when I try to replace it with another key command.

Very frustrating and unnecessary. There are so many ways to open 1Password. Simple research should have ruled out using a fundamental keyboard shortcut already used by Google Docs, one of the most popular office products on the planet.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unverzac you're welcome! Please let us know if you need more help.

• Zebulon720
    Zebulon720
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @steph.giles for the workaround for this ongoing annoying problem. However, even after making this change, it seems to set itself back after a period of time, requiring one to find this work around and again implement it. I don't expect to have to fight so hard to fight against a completely unnecessary "feature". There should be a way to turn off the shortcut rather than choose another random key combination which may conflict with something else down the road.

• Hey @Zebulon720,

I'm sorry for the trouble, the behaviour you are seeing does seem strange.

Do you notice it resets itself when you do anything in particular? Are you clearing your browser history at all?

Any detail would be really useful.

This discussion has been closed.