1Password is not autofilling in Safari

Options
Piper7
Piper7
Community Member
edited September 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password is not autofilling username and password for websites I have bookmarked in Safari. Just started happening today. Have installed 1Password8. Autofilling with 1Password works fine with Firefox.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:1Password is not autofilling username and password for websites I have bookmarked in Safari

Comments

• RRPELLET
    RRPELLET
    Community Member
    Options

Same - new user, new Mac. Been messing around for an hour, just to get into my bank site.
    Not impressed so far...

• Hey @Piper7, @RRPELLET,

Have you installed 1Password for Safari from here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296?mt=12 ?

If so, do you see it when you open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions?

• Piper7
    Piper7
    Community Member
    Options

I installed the app for the extension yesterday and it didn't seem to help so I uninstalled it. Wasn't sure I did the right thing since I never saw the app with 1Password7 and didn't even know what an extension was. Anyway, I installed again today per your recommendation, it's listed in the extensions, and it autofills maybe one out of ten times. I read the reviews on the app and there are a lot of 1 stars. I agree with them that it just doesn't work consistently whereas 1Password7 was a no-brainer. I upgraded to 1Password8 last week and had no problems with autofill until yesterday. It might have started when 1Password for a website talked about two-factor authentication, and I may have pressed the wrong button. Whatever, I'll keep trying and hope you'll keep providing suggestions. Safari is my default browser and I want to keep it that way but if 1Password8 doesn't provide a fix over the next few weeks, I'll probably switch to a different password manager.
    Also, I don't like the "Always Allow on Every Website" especially after reading the caution associated with it after I select it.

• Piper7
    Piper7
    Community Member
    Options

So I got 1Password8 autofill in Safari to work if I Allow on an individually website or on Every Website. But the message given when I select every website says "this extension can read and alter webpages you visit and see your browsing history on all websites". Is it only 1Password that is allowed to do this? It makes me worry about a security issue or marketing issue or some-such. Can you explain this a little better for me for some reassurance? Thanks.

• Hey @Piper7,

I appreciate your concerns, especially when it comes to security.

Our requirement to “allow access to all sites” achieves two things:

• The ability to scan (read) the page HTML to determine if it’s fillable. This also tells us where/when to inject the inline menu.
    • The ability to autofill (write) to the site. While performing an autofill, it effectively changes the HTML. When you submit the autofill, it will allow you to authenticate it properly.

If you still have any concerns, I recommend going through this explanation of our security and privacy: About 1Password browser permissions .

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

• Piper7
    Piper7
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I guess I feel better about it. I didn't have to select any permission (that I can remember) with the extension for Firefox or Chrome so I was concerned when I had to do it with 1Password for Safari. Anyway, I satisfied now. Thanks again.

• On behalf of Steph, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.