Why is a separate log-in -- separately to main app and to extension -- required with Opera Browser?

hiho_silver
hiho_silver
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Just switched from Vivaldi to Opera and find that I have to log in separately both to 1Password on my Mac and to the 1Password extension that I just downloaded (late Nov '22) to Opera (using the Chrome extension). Hugely inconvenient. Why? Haven't checked yet whether editing in the main app is reflected in the extension.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: [from your site 22 Nov]
OS Version: 13.0.1
Browser:_ Opera
Referrer: forum-search:opera 1password extension requires separate log-in

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @hiho_silver, While the extension can be installed in Opera, it cannot connect to the app to share a lock state. This is because we do not officially support Opera. So the extension will operate from Opera independently as a standalone tool.

For now, I recommend using Universal Autofill instead of the extension to fill your logins in Opera. Universal Autofill comes from the app directly. Here's more about it: https://support.1password.com/mac-universal-autofill/

As an alternative, I would recommend using a browser that we currently support, like Chrome, Firefox, or Brave. We have a list of them with links to install the extension here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

I am sorry I don't have better news but I do hope you can use one of the workarounds above. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• hiho_silver
    hiho_silver
    Community Member

Appreciate your response, Joy_1P. Yes, I am aware of, and often use, Autofill; although I have been using Better Touch Tool to automate the password input. Still a drag, once one has gotten used to the connectivity manifest in the other mentioned browsers. But I am admittedly a very spoiled 21st century space cadet who has never milked a cow -- and must again attempt to get over myself. (Opera deserves 1Pass's support, by the way, as it is proving to be a top-notch browser.)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@hiho_silver I definitely understand why you'd want 1Password to support Opera. While I can't make any promises, I can let you know that our developers do want to make 1Password work in all browsers. Hopefully there will more news about that in the future!

This discussion has been closed.