Safari unlock behaviour

pixelmachine
pixelmachine
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Safari's unlock behaviour requires extra clicks versus Chrome and lacks visual feedback. Here's a comparison:

1. If I open Chrome (from a fully closed state) and and attempt to login to a site, 1Password's icon will show locked
  2. Clicking this icon will open both the browser extension modal window and the full 1Password app allowing me to login to 1Password
  3. Once logged in 1Password will automatically show suggestions and all visible icons will show as unlocked

(As an aside why does the main window need to open as well as the modal window? Why can't the modal window allow me to login directly with? It's quite jarring.)

1. If I open Safari (from a fully closed state) and and attempt to login to a site, 1Password's icon will show locked
  2. Clicking this icon will open both the browser extension modal window and the full 1Password app allowing me to login to 1Password
  3. Once logged in literally nothing happens aside from the windows closing. The icons all still show locked and no suggestions are made
  4. Once I interact with 1Password in the browser the icons update and suggestions are shown

Is this just me or a known issue?

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member

This message was picked up by the spam filter apparently so I'm just commenting in the hopes it comes back to the top!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pixelmachine!

Is this just me or a known issue?

It sounds like 1Password in Safari is having some issues connecting to the app in order to unlock in the browser. Could you try the following to see if it gets things working in Safari the way that they work in Chrome?

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your Safari browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension.

(As an aside why does the main window need to open as well as the modal window? Why can't the modal window allow me to login directly with? It's quite jarring.)

In the beginning, the extension was a standalone tool and didn't have a way to connect with the app. However, this was not ideal for many users who liked using the extension and app together. To remedy this, we added a feature to allow the extension to communicate with the app. When that feature is enabled, the settings and unlocking mechanism is controlled from the app. That's you get that prompt to unlock from the app window.

We could do a better job with the UI here. So I'll leave some feedback about it to our developers. In the meantime, please let me know how things go with 1Password in Safari.

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P thanks for your help.

I've followed the instructions and the behaviour remains the same. However just leaving "Integrate with 1Password app" unchecked fixes all the issues. The main window doesn't open, the icons update and an autofill suggestion is given after the master password is provided. Just like Chrome.

So I'm happy with that but what am I losing? What does "Integrate with 1Password app" actually do?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@pixelmachine The "Integrate with 1Password app" feature allows the extension to communicate with the app. This makes it possible for the extension and app to be locked/unlocked simultaneously. Here's an example of how that works:

1. Open the browser and click the extension icon in your toolbar to unlock 1Password.
    2. Enter your Account Password in the prompt.
    3. Both the extension and app unlocks.
    4. Right-click on the extension icon in your toolbar and select Lock.
    5. Both the extension and app locks up.

Going back to the issue you had mentioned with 1Password in Safari:

1. If I open Safari (from a fully closed state) and and attempt to login to a site, 1Password's icon will show locked
    3. Once logged in literally nothing happens aside from the windows closing. The icons all still show locked and no suggestions are made
    4. Once I interact with 1Password in the browser the icons update and suggestions are shown

Are you able to reproduce the issue and then send over some diagnostics information? Here's how to gather the diagnostics information:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

@Joy_1P thanks for the info, I will send through the diagnostics.

Can I just ask why is "Integrate with 1Password app" an option? I don't believe it existed in 1P7 and I don't really understand the purpose of it, I can't see any benefit to not having them connected.

I'm sure that prior to 1P8 unlocking 1P from the browser or the app always unlocked both or am I misremembering?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@pixelmachine 1Password 7 was able to work with two different extensions: the classic extension and the new extension.

The classic extension was a companion to the 1Password 7 app. Saving and filling from the classic extension was done in conjunction with the app. This worked well for licensed users, as they did not need to sign in to an account to use the classic extension.

While the classic extension worked well in some ways, it was hard for us to keep up with it. This is because the classic extension was a bit different in design and function from browser to browser, as well as from operating system to operating system. The solution for this was to make an extension that was virtually the same in all browsers on all operating systems. That was how the new extension came together.

The new extension is different from the classic extension in a couple of distinct ways. First, the new extension is a standalone tool. It does not need the 1Password app to run at all. Secondly, the new extension uses an inline menu to suggest new passwords and logins in all browsers. This inline menu makes it easier to save and fill your information.

Not being built on top of the app allowed the new extension to look and be relatively the same across different browsers and operating systems. However, there were many users who used both the app and extension. They did not want to sign into the app and extension separately. Because of this, we added the "Integrate with 1Password app" option. That is what connects the extension to the app. It allows users to unlock both the extension and app in just one go.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.