Where is 2.5.0 for Safari?

Noticed that the latest version for Safari (App Store) is 2.4.1 from a month ago. What gives?

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• @illutron

1Password for Safari needs a little more love. We're working to bring an update to you as soon as possible.

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member

"1Password for Safari needs a little more love"

Understatement.

No idea why you guys released 8. It is a shocker.

• @tomato_1 I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way. Are there any specific issues you are running into or are there any features you would like to see implemented in 1Password 8? We're always happy to hear from our users how we can improve 1Password and forward their feedback to our product team.

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Thank you for your response.

Respectfully, if you guys don't know what's wrong with 8 in Safari now, from the chorus of complaints across many forums and user groups there isn't very much I can do to assist, and quite frankly these are issues for you not me to spend time on.

Try clearing history with it open and see how you go.

Here is but a sample:

And before you ask - of course I use blockers/vpns etc. On all browsers. I had no issues with 7 on Safari and nothing but problems with 8 on Safari.

Brave and FF are fine incidentally with 8.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tomato_1 Thanks for your response. 1Password for Safari maintains a connection to our encrypted servers (we call it the IDBDatabase Connection) which allows its functions to work properly. However, if your browser's cache, cookies, or history is cleared, that database connection is wiped, and the extension may not work (until you restart the browser or sign in again). The old built-in extension in 1Password 7 was a companion to the app and did not rely on this connection, so that is why the behavior is different.

Are you able to adjust your workflow a bit and not clear your cache/cookies/history as often? One alternative is to open Safari in a private window, which would not save the details of your browsing history, and then use 1Password from there.

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member

Considering the 1Password browser blog only posts about updates to every other browser extension BUT Safari and asks for feedback and ratings on any other browser extension BUT Safari in the Mac App Store, it is safe to say that "a little love" is a little too little and a little too late. Please let your actions speak volumes. By January, I'll be gone.

And I even like 1Password 8 despite all the controversy around it. A barely working Safari extension that does not even get new features with no clear roadmap ahead other than "We really love Chrome you guys" is ridiculous.

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member

And I forgot: There's a beta version for every other extension BUT for Safari. It just continues. And please don't respond that it's hard to do a beta for Safari. It is not. Testflight for Mac exists and it is working.

• azubkov
    azubkov
    Community Member

Where is 2.5.1 for Safari? 22 days you can't update Safari extension?

• PeterG_1P
    edited December 2022

Hi folks,

There will of course be further updates to 1Password for Safari. Generally speaking, we try to keep updates coming evenly across operating systems and browsers, but it's not always possible to maintain that 100% due to platform-specific requirements, APIs, and a lengthy list of secondary considerations. But we certainly care quite a lot about Safari and want to provide the best possible experience for you there.

There will be updates coming in January, and we look forward to sharing those with you. Thanks for your patience, and there will be good things to come on the other side of the holiday season.

• joe121
    joe121
    Community Member

I just had to use Chrome to save a new username and password from a website, because it wasn't possible from Safari.
    Since version 8 1Password is a mess on the Mac and even more so when using Safari. Painfully slow and not working reliably. When contacting support I am ask to send diagnose report, console log. Guys, it's not on me to fix a product that wasn't broken on Version 7. I'm paying for this so that you provide me with a great experience (I once had.)
    "Little more love" is just a really bad excuse for it just became the least important for us. Be at least honest about where your focus lies. If you want to go for Windows and leave Mac behind, it's ok. Just tell so and I know what to do.

• PeterG_1P
    edited January 2023

Hi @joe121, I'm sorry that you've encountered these issues. We definitely want you to have a smooth experience on Safari!

When contacting support I am ask to send diagnose report, console log. Guys, it's not on me to fix a product that wasn't broken on Version 7.

I can really understand where you're coming from. The reason we ask for this kind of information is because we need to have some way to determine what the problem is, so that we can expedite a solution for you (or in the case of bug fixes, we need to narrow down the specific aspect of the app that needs to be improved by our developers). While we recognize that this involves time on your part, we really do our best to get to the bottom of the issue as quickly as possible so you get on with your day.

Again, we are in no way putting Safari or the Mac ecosystem second, and there are lots of updates to come. If you're still encountering issues, do let me know and our team will be happy to jump in and assist. Including the ticket ID (which looks like this: [#AAA-12345-123]) can help us ensure we have all the info in one place and that your questions get answered.

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member

First rate job.

• Hey @tomato_1,

It looks like 1Password in Safari might be having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app. Can you give these steps a try:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

Let me know how you get on!

This discussion has been closed.