Any way to prevent email autosuggest?

Severisth
Severisth
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Is there any way to prevent 1Password from offering autosuggest of email address on signup forms? I only use 1Password for autofilling sign-in forms, never sign-up forms, and for this and other reasons it would be great to turn this off.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:email autosuggest

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Severisth, there's not a way to easily turn something like that off. However, I can let you know about a workaround that can help.

Those sign-up form suggestions come from Identity items. To ensure that those suggestions do not appear going forward, you can do the following:

1. Remove your email address from your Identity items.
    • This will still allow you to use your Identity items to fill addresses. If that's important to you, I recommend doing this.
    1. Move your Identity items into another vault and turn off that vault from the extension settings in your browser.
    • This will make it harder for you to fill your addresses. If you don't do that, and do not want to make changes to your Identity items, then this is a good option.

From the two options above, which one are you most interested in? Once I get those details, I can provide you the next steps.

• Severisth
    Severisth
    Community Member

Thank you for these ideas! Option 1 worked. There's unfortunately still a "no items to show" message coming up, but that's way better than the email addresses. Thank you!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Severisth I'm glad that helped. To get rid of that "no items to show" message, you can do the following:

• Press ESC on your keyboard.
    • Click on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

It's also possible to completely turn off the suggestions from the inline menu. Let me know if that's something you're interested in.

• Severisth
    Severisth
    Community Member

Thanks! Temporarily hiding "no items to show" is nicely intuitive (using any of the three approaches you mentioned). I'd love to permanently hide it for sign-up forms (where 1password was offering email addresses), but still see it for sign-in forms (where 1password offers actual usernames & passwords). I wouldn't be surprised if that's not doable though.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Severisth it's not doable at this time, but we do have a feature request for it. I'll add your ticket here to that request.

IDEA-I-596

• Severisth
    Severisth
    Community Member

Thank you!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@Severisth You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.