Safari and Chrome Extensions slow and unstable

extensioncord
extensioncord
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Is there a way to improve the performance of the browser extensions?

Since version 8.7 (when I started using 1Password 8) and continuing through 8.9.10 (current version), the performance of the browser extensions has been frustrating. Unlocking via the extension takes 5-30 seconds, and then another 5-30 seconds for the field fill menu to be functional (i.e. the menu doesn't allow selection, or selection doesn't do anything). I suspect this is due to the number of accounts I have (22) signed in. Unlocking and login item display was immediate with version 7.9.4 with the same number of accounts.

Additionally, the extensions regularly lose contact with the app or background process that identifies whether they are locked or unlocked. I can have the window for the app visibly unlocked, but Chrome will say it's locked and Safari will be unlocked. Restarting the browser that has the wrong status solves the problem, but this is not inefficient and is often a problem, due to state and data loss from quitting. It happened with the 7.x app as well, but not nearly as frequently as with 1Password 8.

There are still so many regressions (e.g. field re-ordering, but thanks for default vault), frequent app crashes (no crash log, just disappearing app window), and performance problems. Passkeys are interesting, but not as essential as basic performance and reliability.

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari and Chrome

Comments

• Hey @extensioncord,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in the browser. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• extensioncord
    extensioncord
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Support ID is ZNI-13819-978

They suggested this for fixing the slow unlock and autofill, and it seems to be somewhat helpful.

resetting the connection between 1Password in your browser and the desktop app. Please follow the steps below to do this:

• Completely quit 1Password desktop app
    • Disable 1Password's integration - Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, and select Settings.
    • Under General, disable & re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app"
    • Completely quit your browser
    • Open your browser.
    • Click the name of your browser in the menu bar and choose Quit.
    • Open 1Password desktop app
    • Open your browser and click the 1Password icon in the toolbar
  • Hey @extensioncord,

Thank you for the update! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.