How to gain access to parents private vault when they pass

Options
srp
srp
Community Member

I'm setting up Families for my parents and siblings to put their passwords in. What happens to my parents private vault when they pass? Is there a way we can gain access to that? In lieu of an easier answer, I'm going to have them put their login password in the shared account, but that seems a little weird and insecure to me.

TIA for any advice you can provide

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:families

Comments

• Hi there @srp

The best way for anyone to allow access to their 1Password account in an event like this is to make sure they have put a copy of their Emergency Kit in a safe place, with their account password written on it. This might be somewhere at home, along with passports, financial documents, and things like that, or it could be kept with a legal professional, in a safe-deposit box, or somewhere similar.

If your parents are part of your 1Password Families account, and you're a Family Organizer, you would also be able to recover their account as long as you could access their email: Recover accounts for family or team members.

I'm going to have them put their login password in the shared account, but that seems a little weird and insecure to me.

I agree with you – I'd strongly recommend against having them store their account password anywhere other than in their own Private vault or on their Emergency Kit.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• srp
    srp
    Community Member
    Options

That was perfect, and very close to what I thought would be the solution. I’ll make sure (as the owner of the Family account) that we have access to their email.

• @srp – Thank you! I'm glad to hear it helps. If you have any questions about anything 1Password-related, you can always ask them here on the 1Password Support Community, or by email at support@1password.com if it relates to billing or your account. Happy holidays from all of us! 🎄⛄️ :)

This discussion has been closed.