Major UI/UX issue when updating passwords

strif4
strif4
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I am migrating from Lastpass and updating my passwords.

I have noticed a major UI/UX issue when updating passwords on my Chrome 1P app.

Basically when I click "Use Suggested Password" by 1P on the new password area, it popups with an option to update my account password. But the problem is I cannot click anywhere else, it darkens the rest of the screen.

So I either have to accept it or cancel it then. But even on "smart" password generation mode, sometimes the website gives an error saying it isn't a compatible password.

If you had updated the account password already, it means you are stuffed. Because 1P now has updated to your 'new' password that never got updated and now you don't have your old password.

On Lastpass, the updating or adding new profile pop-up comes out in the top right corner and allows you to use the browser still. I always keep the pop-up until it is processed by the website and then press update/cancel on the pop-up depending on the result.

I now have to call the bank because I tried to update my bank account to a password that did not get accepted by the bank from 1P password smart generator...And 1P updated to the 'rejected' password already on the vault which means I do not have the working password for that bank account anymore....

Please move the pop-up to the top right and allow us to still interact with the website. Currently I cannot update my password on the website until I press Update/Cancel on the 1P popup option first. It really should be the other way around, I should update it on the website and then update it on 1P.

This is also a bit annoying when making a fresh new account and the website rejects it but 1P already saved that password. But the consequences aren't as serious when compared to updating existing accounts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @strif4,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It definitely sounds like things aren't working as they should be. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• btsomogyi
    btsomogyi
    Community Member

I've had the same issue (lost password after 'update password' when new password is rejected). This seems like a no-brainer feature request to have the old entry moved into 'archive' during the 'update password' so that it can be recovered should anything go wrong (preventing information loss, which is what 1password should be all about)

• steph.giles
    edited May 2023

Hey @btsomogyi,

I'm sorry for the trouble you have had when saving a password.

You may be able to locate the old password by following the steps in this guide: View and restore previous versions of items.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.