Unable to login with password saved in 1Password after changing to generated password

sarmstrong88
sarmstrong88
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Never used a password manager before. Signed up for free trial 14 days 1Password and have spent the last TWO DAYS trying to get new strong passwords on all the websites I use. I am not a dummy. But getting "passwords do not match," "passwords do not meet the website requirements," "password exceeds the maximum characters allowed," over and over and over again is beyond belief. How in the world are people using this thing? How can I be doing something wrong almost (but not) every time? I was hoping to convince my whole family to start using a password manager (in fact it was my New Year's resolution!). Wow I'm glad I gave it a try before getting any of them to start. If there is a remedial forum with instructions for golden retrievers, please direct me there. I'd like this to work, but first I have to get back to resetting passwords (the old fashioned way, without 1Password) for all the accounts I can no longer log into. Sorry for the rant, but I am truly gobsmacked by this.

1Password Version: 8? can't find despite instructions
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: mas OS Monterey 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @sarmstrong88,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting started with setting more secure passwords. Could you please walk me through, step-by-step, what is happening with one of the websites that is giving you this trouble? Please start from the time you launch your web browser to initiate the password change.

In case it is helpful, we have a guide with steps on setting a new password available here:

Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Ben

• sarmstrong88
    sarmstrong88
    Community Member

Thank you Ben for your reply. I have no more bandwidth for my password issues today; I will start again tomorrow and keep a log of exactly what steps I'm using on websites. In the meantime I will read the tips you suggest.

• sarmstrong88
    sarmstrong88
    Community Member

Actually I just read "Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords." I'm having trouble understanding why changing a password in the browser has two steps, and in the app it has 4. Why in the app do you have a whole step involving copying and pasting the old password (and this doesn't need to happen in the browser?)? And the instructions to "adjust the settings to the website requirement" need to happen in the app but not the browser? Why would this be?

• Hey @sarmstrong88,

The reason for the extra steps is because when changing a password in the app it is more of a manual process whereas in the browser you can use 1Password to automatically fill the old password fields. I would recommend using 1Password in your browser to change passwords, these changes will be synced with the app.

I hope this helps to explain.

This discussion has been closed.