SSH auth doesn't appear when macbook lid is closed

gustaferiksson
gustaferiksson
Community Member
edited January 2023 in SSH

I use the mac app for SSH connections which works great when my mac is used with the lid open.

Once I close the lid and use my mac in a docking station, the auth prompt for ssh keys never appear when connecting with ssh. With the lid open the Touch-ID auth window appears but with the lid closed nothing happens. I generally use iTerm but the same thing happens in Terminal aswell.

The SSH error I get is the following:

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for RSA "key_rsa" from agent: agent refused operation

I can se the key when the following command is issued:

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock ssh-add -l

I have tried enable apple watch auth aswell but that doesn't work either. That auth prompt just flashes by. The same happens for Vault auth with apple watch.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gustaferiksson:

Thanks for reaching out about this. When you're unable to use Apple Watch to approve SSH, are you able to use Apple Watch to unlock your Mac or 1Password? Let me know.

Jack

• gustaferiksson
    gustaferiksson
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P I have actually got it to work now. In hindsight it was probably not an issue with the 1P app and more macos issues.

If anyone else has the same problem, the following solved it for me:
    Uncheck TouchID and Apple Watch in the 1P Mac app: Settings > Security > Unlock
    Uncheck 'Use Touch ID to unlock your Mac' and 'Apple Watch' in system prefs: System Preferences > Touch ID & Password
    Restart Mac
    Check 'Use Touch ID to unlock your Mac' and 'Apple Watch' in system prefs: System Preferences > Touch ID & Password
    Check TouchID and Apple Watch in the 1P Mac app: Settings > Security > Unlock

Haven't tested with mac in clamshell yet but if I have more problem regarding that I will open a new discussion with the Mac topic!

Thanks!

• Hi @gustaferiksson:

Glad to hear it! Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else we can help you with!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.