automatic locking

Options
mike3825
mike3825
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Even though I've turned off the automatic locking under 'security' and also tried to set it for '8 hours' it still keeps locking every time Safari is closed and also after about 10 minutes.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Even though I've turned off the automatic locking under 'security' and also tried to set it for '8 hours' it still keeps locking every time Safari is closed and also after about 10 minutes.

Comments

• david.m_1P
    edited January 2023
    Options

HI @mike3825 ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering some trouble with 1Password for Safari not locking as expected. Can you confirm if you're referring to the Security settings within the 1Password extension settings page or the 1Password app settings?

I look forward to hearing from you!

• NotoriousGangOfOne
    NotoriousGangOfOne
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. My wife and I are in our 70s, and remembering and typing a good 10+ character master password is problematic. I've set up a key combo I can use to enter the password, but my wife can't seem to remember how to do that for herself, and even with this shortcut, we have to do it MANY times every day.

We are not worried about someone stealing our computers. I have repeatedly tried to disable all the automatic locking settings so that we don't have to unlock 1Password whenever we do a browser restart or at other seemingly random times. But no matter what I do, 1Password keeps locking itself. I understand the need for security, but this has gotten so annoying that I'm considering looking for another app to manage our passwords.

How can I minimize the times/circumstances when 1Password locks? I'd love it if the only time it locks is when I manually tell it to, or at the most once per day.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NotoriousGangOfOne I can understand why you would want 1Password to remain unlocked as much as possible. Just to check, do you use the 1Password extension in the browser along with the 1Password desktop app on your computer? What steps have you taken to configure your auto-lock settings? If you can share a screenshot of those settings, that would be really helpful.

Make sure to not include any sensitive information in your screenshot. For help with taking screenshots, check out this link: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Don't forget to attach the screenshot to your message. We look forward to hearing from you again.

• NotoriousGangOfOne
    NotoriousGangOfOne
    Community Member
    Options

My wife and I use
    I use 1Password (app + browser extension) on a

• Mac Mini (M1) at home
    • MacBook Pro at work
    • iPhone (only when I absolutely have to)

My wife uses 1Password (app + browser extension) on a

• MacBook Air
    • iPhone

Do I have to create identical settings on all five devices? I would think that as the admin of the Family group, I could configure settings for all group members here. That does not seem to be the case. Am I missing something?

This is a problem since the longest duration is 300 minutes!

• Hey @NotoriousGangOfOne, thank you for the additional information that you provided.

Opera isn't a browser that we officially support and because of that, the extension/app integration feature will not work. You can still use the extension in Opera, but you would have to unlock the extension separately from the app, as it is an independent tool.

The settings for auto-lock at 1Password.com are separate from the auto-lock with the browser extension as well. So changing the lock timer to (300 minutes) in the last image you shared will not affect the auto-lock timer/settings for the browser extension.

If you're interested, here's a list of browsers that we support:

Using one of these browsers alongside the 1Password desktop app (with Auto-lock disabled in the app), will keep the browser extension unlocked after it has been closed.

I hope that helps, @NotoriousGangOfOne. I look forward to your reply.

• NotoriousGangOfOne
    NotoriousGangOfOne
    Community Member
    Options

I started using Opera a couple of years ago when Chrome used so many system resources that it slowed down my Mac. Perhaps that problem has been solved, but I'm now deep into the Opera ecosystem and reluctant to change, and my wife will file for a divorce if I change the browser again. I use Macs, but Safari sucks.

I gather from what you've said If I continue to use Opera, I'll need to change the extension settings on all five devices we use. Is that correct?

Is it also correct that 1Password will auto-lock after 300 minutes, no matter what I do?

You wrote: "So changing the lock timer to (300 minutes) in the last image you shared will not affect the auto-lock timer/settings for the browser extension." Could you explain this like I'm five? Are you saying that if I'm using a supported browser, if I disable auto-lock in the extension, it WILL or WILL NOT auto-lock after 300 minutes?

I find it interesting that you support Firefox, which is apparently less than 1% more popular than Opera, and Brave, which does not make many of the "most popular browsers" lists. I know that browser popularity is a moving target, but still...

I've been a 1Password user since way back when it was simple, and I must admit to being massively confused by it now. I have to manage the Version 8 app, the 1Password.com website, and the browser extension. Are you saying that if I do change browsers to Chrome, I will be able to set auto-lock-disable at any one of those places and have it automatically sync all the settings on all my devices?

Hmmm. I might be OK with the divorce, but we're newlyweds. :-) I'm 75, and she's 74, and we got married on September 30th, having both outlived our previous partners.

This discussion has been closed.