To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

LastPass "Import failed. We cannot perform an import at this time due to changes beyond our control"

Options
pm7
pm7
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Memberships

What does this arcane error message mean? It prompts me to manually email a diagnostic file to support, which I have done several times without a response. 1Password definately needs to mature its support mechanism. It should have automatically created an email and attached the file. I couldn't even copy the support email address from the error message which was frustrating.

Regardless, please assist with resolving this issue. I tried a csv export and import and that failed as well. Attempting it with my passwords in clear text within the file was against my better judgment. Expunging the file was a hassle, so I do not want to go with that approach again. It's kind of crazy to have to resort to that when password managers are supposed to improve security, not create more risk.

I look forward to your timely response.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.9.14 (80914009)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"Import failed. We cannot perform an import at this time due to changes beyond our control"

Comments

• olderman
    olderman
    Community Member
    Options

Received a response today from 1Password support saying they are working on the issue. This was 2 days after reporting the problem.
    They also said to use the csv approach which I have not yet believing it can create a security exposure. The 2 day response time also concerns me given that 1Password has no real time support, no phone or chat. I am posting the response:

Thank you for contacting 1Password Support. My name is Zoe and I'm a member of the Customer Support team.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with importing into 1Password. I'm here to help you get up and running again as soon as possible.

Our development team is currently investigating an issue related to the LastPass importer available through the 1Password app. In the meantime, I'd recommend using the import tool available through https://my.1password.com/ in your web browser.

The export should be completed on LastPass.com - https://lastpass.com/?ac=1&lpnorefresh=1 (not through the extension/apps) and

The import through 1Password.com - https://my.1password.com/signin (not through the extension/apps).

To export your data from LastPass:

Sign in at https://lastpass.com/?ac=1&lpnorefresh=1

Screen+Shot+2021-07-12+at+7.30.48+PM.png
    Click Advanced Options in the sidebar.

Advanced+Options+%3E+Export.png

Choose Export and enter your LastPass password.

Screen+Shot+2021-07-12+at+7.47.23+PM.png

If you're prompted to verify your export, go to your email and verify the export. You can then log in to LastPass again. select Advanced Options > Export and re-enter your LastPass password

Screen+Shot+2021-07-12+at+7.47.16+PM.png

Select Continue. Depending on your web browser, the CSV file may automatically be saved to your computer. If the CSV file doesn't automatically download, you may need to allow the file to be downloaded.

To import your data on 1Password.com:

Sign in to https://my.1password.com/signin using your web browser.

Click your name in the top right and choose Import.

chrome_TxjCUMDYpZ.png

Click LastPass and then 'or upload a CSV export from LastPass...'. Your Personal or Private vault will be selected. To import your data to a different vault, choose it.

Screen+Shot+2021-07-12+at+7.33.50+PM.png chrome_VG143RGlMW.png

Click inside the dotted rectangle to open a file browser. Browse to your downloads folder and select the CSV export from LastPass that was downloaded earlier.

chrome_SFMm9JJeVa.png

Select a vault to import your items to and then click Import in the top right corner.

CleanShot+2023-01-19+at+15.42.15%402x.png

Click “Take me to my imported items”, and you’ll see all your imported items. If you want to change anything about the import, like importing the data into a different vault, or if you notice any errors, click Undo Import and start again.

Keep your online accounts secure after import

While we are confident in our ability to keep our client information secure, your online accounts are only as secure as the passwords used to access them. That's why it's important to create strong passwords for all your online accounts in order to keep them secure. Here's how 1Password can keep those accounts safe.

Because we have no way to tell if passwords you import from LastPass have been compromised, we highly recommend changing any passwords that you have imported from LastPass after you import them. You can use the 1Password password generator to create strong passwords for all your online accounts on all devices by following this guide: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Included with your 1Password subscription is Watchtower, which can also help you detect any compromised, weak or reused passwords, and see if the email address for your 1Password account has been found in any data breaches. We continually update Watchtower as security breaches are reported. Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

Let me know how everything goes with those steps! If you run into any issues or have any questions, we'll be here to help.

I look forward to hearing from you 😄

Kind Regards,

Zoe B.

• rluc
    rluc
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue. CSV direct import did not work on the Windows app or website. However, I was successful by copy/pasting everything from the CSV into the text box on the import page.

• BillMc
    BillMc
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. No response from 1Password. Uninstalled and cancelled trial.

• pm7
    pm7
    Community Member
    Options

@BillMc I almost did the same, then decided to bite the bullet and perform the LastPass export and import through the 1Pass web interface. I’m glad I did and was surprised to find how much more I like 1Pass with absolutely no desire to go back to LastPass.

• BillMc
    BillMc
    Community Member
    Options

@pm7 Thanks for the reply. Good to hear you are happy. I wanted to be but the lack of response/support raises a red flag for me. Also, if this is a known issue, 1Pass should clean up the app and provide alternate instructions there rather than tossing an error message.

• pm7
    pm7
    Community Member
    Options

Totally Agree

• DaleShelton
    DaleShelton
    Community Member
    Options

Not off to a good start, same issue and this "KB" article is not the kind of knowledge to be proud of.

You guys have LastPass on the ropes right now. Would be really smart to ensure advertised features like importing from LastPass using your app work.

• tailgate
    tailgate
    Community Member
    Options

At least write an informative error message. JFC.

• tailgate
    tailgate
    Community Member
    Options

And how can a security firm tell you as a best practice to download your entire vault onto your machine in PLAIN TEXT!?? If your machine is compromised, you may be leaking your entire vault by doing so. JFC.

• MicroChip
    MicroChip
    Community Member
    Options

I'm 3 days in to my 14 days before I start being billed, trying to evaluate as a replacement for LastPass, have the same issue importing, have emailed the log file 2x but have not gotten any response.

• DaleShelton
    DaleShelton
    Community Member
    Options

@tailgate might be interested:

I did find and use the option to pull the lastpass contents into a browser window and past that into the import windows of 1Password. It never renders to a file (unless you save it) so should be about as secure as a direct https pull from the app. I give it a B+. Worked fine and fast. Would be better if the process were more clearly documented / explained and if the security differences were summarized. Would be great if it also transferred unstructured data like documents I have stored against my lastpass site passwords. I think that would require an XML or Json pull, if lastpass supports it.

• tailgate
    tailgate
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like you would have to copy-paste it then to avoid saving it as a file. But there is plenty of malware that targets the clipboard. I don't see how that could be secure. I also suspect there is malware that can read browser window contents. Whereas if 1pass connects directly, all the transfers should occur over an encrypted channel. Seems way more secure. I feel safer staying with LP for now than doing an insecure transfer like this.

• Hello folks,

A new version of 1Password was released yesterday and includes some updates to the import tool. Please check for updates and try importing again.

To check for updates in 1Password:

Remember to let 1Password install the update and restart before trying to import again. If you do see another error, email support@1password.com and share the new diagnostics report so we can review any errors you encountered and let you know about next steps.

Thank you,

• nstratton
    nstratton
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

It doesn't look good when LastPass is on it's LastGasp, and 1Password criticises LastPass on it's technology, to have this import fail.

In my case the log file shows the reason.
    Export failed: failed to log in: multifactorresponsefailed

I had to use the CSV option, making sure to overwrite the information in the download.csv with rubbish, before permanently deleting the file.

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @nstratton,

Thanks for your feedback.

In my case the log file shows the reason.
    Export failed: failed to log in: multifactorresponsefailed

Based on these details, this message seems like it is referring to MFA still being enabled in the LastPass account. When following the guide to Import your data using the 1Password desktop app it notes:

You’ll need to disable two-factor authentication in your LastPass account before you can import your data.

I'm happy to hear you were able to complete the import with the .CSV option, but if you run into any other troubles, we'll be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.