Journey from LastPass Families to 1Password Families

rallyn1password
rallyn1password
Community Member

Greetings:

Converting a group of us (~8 users) to 1Password from LastPass Family and personal free accounts and trying to find the right pathways to previous features in a new environment.

In LastPass mom, wife, daughter, and son and I were in the same Family, so able to share folders of items(logins, secure notes, etc). Mother-in-law and sister have free accounts. For both mothers, they never used LastPass, we just used their accounts as central shared repository of their logins. I was able to log in to mom's account to see any private logins she had. Her iPad and iPhone were setup with LastPass and anything that was saved would go to her private area. I shared her LastPass login with my brother and sister, so they could access, use, and update her passwords and ids, etc. My brother and sister were not part of my LastPass Family. My brother did not have a LastPass account.

I would also share passwords in LastPass with other LastPass users. They could use and see the password in read-only mode, and when I updated it, it would update in their LastPass accounts also.

I am going to describe my journey and where I ended up, with hopes of helping others, and gaining feedback from others experienced users.

Wife, daughter, son

Easy, just have to get them to migrate which you have made easy with the LastPass import process. All will be full members of the family and be Family Organizers. I am having to tell them all that we, as Family Organizers, can permanently delete a family member, and it is permanent. The deleted user loses their personal vault with no "undo". Do not ever OK a delete!! I have asked for 1Password to address this issue, but have no hope it will change as looking at the post in the forum, customers have been asking for a change for years. This is my only "beware" item at this point.

Mom:

Migrating to 1Password I setup my mom with a full member account, and imported her LastPass account data. That went easily. (thanks for that). Then I went to login as my mom, and while you are able to login to multiple "accounts" in your 1Passord, you cannot login as a different "user" in the same Family account. (trying to use the right terms here, as family members are users of the same Family account from what I understand). Logging in as her meant I had to log out as me, which would be the same as Lastpass. The difference I find is that LastPass is all browser based with no local app, so I get all features in the browser, and I can login to two different browsers, one as me, one as my mom, and do everything I need to. 1Password needs the local/native app for somethings so this does not work as well. The reason to login as mom is to have access to all her settings, passwords or items she saves or others using her iPad/iPhone save.

At first I thought 1Password Guest accounts were only read-only visibility to a vault. I now understand that there is ability to add and edit or even manage access to the vault as the Guest user. This has changed my thinking of account usage in 1Password. I moved all my mom's items to a new vault "mom" and then deleted her as a user. I then added her back in as a Guest, and after setting her up, saving her Secret Key and login in my vault, I gave her "edit and view" access to the "mom" vault. That seems a better option, as she does not have a private vault, so all her new stuff gets saved in the shared "mom" vault which I now have access to from my user login after adding myself to the "mom" vault.

One other thing to keep in mind. When you login, you only see the account name listed, which is the Family name. When you log out and login as a different family member, you will only see the same Family name as the account name. You will have to dig in the UI to find out which user you are logged into. This is very confusing, and led to mistakes thinking I was in my account when I was in my mom's or vice versa. i have put in a request to have 1Password display "User name - Account name" instead of only account name in the UI to make this obvious.

Sister and Brother:

OK, now I need to give my sister and brother access to mom's stuff, so we have only one copy. My sister had a free LastPass account and I shared mom's stuff with her, my brother did not have a LastPass account, so would just login as mom on his computer. I can add my sister as a Family member, help her import her LastPass stuff and then share the "mom" vault with her. My brother could login to mom's 1Password account, but the secret key makes that another hurdle, but I guess no more than adding him as a Guest. I will see if he will do the Guest signup, then I can just add him with "view and edit" permissions to the "mom" vault

Mother-in-law:

She was a stand along free LastPass user. Based on my mom's experience above, I am moving her to a Guest account, and putting all her items in a shared vault "mother-in-law" with edit and view permissions. No having a private vault is a benefit here, same as with my mom. My wife and I have permissions on the "mother-in-law" vault as well.

Brother-in-law and sister-in-law:

OK now getting more far flung. Brother-in-law is a current individual 1Password user. Do I offer to bring him into the family for $12/year vs. the $36 he is paying now? Do I just setup a new Guest account and give him edit and view access to the "mother-in-law' vault? I might have enough Guest accounts to do that for free. Sister-in-law is not a 1Password user, so I think I set her up as a Guest as well, and share the "mother-in-law" vault. If I have to pay for the Guest account, I think it is the same cost as an extra family member, so maybe I offer full member account for $12/year. Maybe brother-in-law can convert to a Family account and add her to it? TBD on this section... but I think I have a path forward.

Sharing Passwords:

You can share a static link of a password with one or more people, (or for anyone with the link, eek did this by mistake once as it is the default). OK, so that is good, no one has to have a 1Password account to use it. The downside is for the 1Password users, they only get a static password, and no updates when it changes. Still working through best options for this with the sporadic other people I share with. Paying for a Guest account for each of them seems overkill. I think i have to remember to send updates when they happen, and they will have to update their own vaults. No good answer to this one at this time...

FYI on import from LastPass glitch:

One other glitch of the csv file (prior version) LastPass import was that credit card expiration dates were not being imported, along with the known attachments were not either. The attachments now are supposed to come over, but keep an eye out for expiration dates. I have not had a chance to run the new process on an account with a credit card yet to test. Attachments are supposed to come over now, a big benefit I wish I had had earlier... sigh.

If any one has input, feedback, warnings with my setup, please let me know. I am a couple weeks into 1Password, and have been drinking from the fire hose of documentation and forums. Always happy to learn more.

• Robert

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:LastPass conversion to 1Password

Comments

• Hi again @rallyn1password

In general, your implementation of 1Password Families for your use looks perfectly sensible. I'll call out some points to consider and come to some specific parts as well.

The principle of least privilege: The role of Family Organizer, just like any privilege, should only be given to those who really need it, and can be trusted to use it for good. Typically, customers tell us that it's usually the most technical member of the family who is the Family Organizer, and they tend to nominate a "deputy" who can be trusted not to mess about, just in case they themselves lose access for some reason and need recovery. We've heard of couples using 1Password Families who are both Family Organizers for that reason.

🙋 Personal context: my partner and I are both Family Organizers. Neither of my parents, or my partner's parents, are Family Organizers because they don't need that responsibility, and (to be brutally honest) I wouldn't want any of them noodling around in the family settings on 1Password.com without knowing what they're doing. At least one of them (not naming names!) has a habit of clicking things without fully understanding what they do. Considering the Family Organizer role is a "go anywhere, do anything" role, that's not suitable for them.

Mother-in-law [...] was a stand along free LastPass user. Based on my mom's experience above, I am moving her to a Guest account, and [...not] having a private vault is a benefit here.

Yes! This is a very valid observation here. If you think it's best that a user on your 1Password Families doesn't have their own Private vault, then it makes sense to add them as a guest rather than a "full" family member. You also get to control which vault they have access to and can make that access read-only or read-write, depending on what's most useful. If that family member needs their items managed for them, it may make more sense to have their access be read-only.

Brother-in-law and sister-in-law: Do I offer to bring him into the family for $12/year vs. the $36 he is paying now? Do I just setup a new Guest account and give him edit and view access to the "mother-in-law' vault?

As with a lot of questions we're asked about how best to use 1Password Families, the answer is "it depends" – every family is different! You could try setting up your brother-in-law as a guest for now, and if you want to promote him to a full family member in the future, you can do that. If you have a guest spot not being used, this might be worth a try first and it wouldn't cost any more to try. You can't "demote" a family member back to a guest, so I'd suggest trying a guest first, then promoting if you need to.

Sharing Passwords: You can share a static link of a password with one or more people, (or for anyone with the link, eek did this by mistake once as it is the default). OK, so that is good, no one has to have a 1Password account to use it. The downside is for the 1Password users, they only get a static password, and no updates when it changes.

You're right that any changes to the shared item must be shared again for the recipient to see those changes. This is because you're essentially sharing a copy of that item at that point in time, rather than a direct reference to it. This provides forward secrecy as well – once the link expires, you can change that password to prevent any further access by the recipient, and they would never know the new password.

Potentially more useful when sharing within the family is a private link, which you can copy from any item using the ⋮ three-dot menu. The link will work for anyone who has access to its vault. As an example, you might need to give someone in the family access to one of your items. You could do that by moving or copying it to a shared vault, copying a private link, then sending them that link, and they'd be able to open that link to go to it directly.

Sometimes there won't be a clear answer as to what's best for you and your family, so you might need to do some experimentation to find out what works and what doesn't. If you need any help understanding any of the features of 1Password, let me know and I'll be happy to help. :)

— Grey

• rallyn1password
    rallyn1password
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback Grey. Appreciate the insight and additional knowledge.

• @rallyn1password

You're welcome! It can take a little while to find your feet with this kind of thing, so please do ask if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.