1Password on an old computer...

Options
ShotGun4me
ShotGun4me
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Cranked up an old computer from 3 years ago that was running 1Password. When I enter my current 1Password PW, I get a message saying to enter my "secret" password that I have access but I was afraid to try that as 1Password is working fine on my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, my iPad and even my Windows computer.

Is there a chance if I do enter my secret PW on this old machine, it will mess up all my other devices using 1PW?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password on an old computer...

Comments

• Hello @ShotGun4me! 👋

In order to access your 1Password account on a device you'll need two different secrets:

1. Your account password.
    2. Your Secret Key.

While you'll need to enter your account password each time that you unlock 1Password (unless you've enabled Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock) your Secret Key is only needed the first time that you add 1Password to a new device, you deauthorize a device from your 1Password account, or you regenerate your Secret Key.

Can you tell me if you've performed one of those actions recently? Can you describe what the message on your old computer says specifically and tell me which version of 1Password you're using?

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.