To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Import from LastPass Feature - Did It Ever Work?

Options
Straw
Straw
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Memberships

I was attracted to 1Password by the supposed easy import from LastPass. The feature has failed for me several times and I emailed support the diagnostics file. I see in the forum postings that the import from LastPass has failed for many users continuously over a couple of month period. Did it work seamlessly for any of you?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Straw

The native API-based importer is relatively new to 1Password, and I know the folks at 1Password are scrambling to get all the issues resolved. The betas and nightly version have received many fixes to provide a more seamless conversion and import experience. I've confirmed several of them already. I believe they are working through issues and limitations in the API.

• Indeed we are working though any issues. Thank you for contacting my colleagues @Straw that would be the best possible way to iron out any troubles. @MrC is correct that there are fixes within the beta and nightly and we're always looking to improve.

• MilesAB
    MilesAB
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

I used the latest version of 1Passwrod 8.10 with the new importer. Logged in with my Lastpass email and password. I already switched off the MFA in Lastpass. However it consistently fails. It also fails with file import.

I then dug through the 1Password menu to find update with nightly build. I then used that and the import worked. Was not a smooth start to suing 1Password...

• MilesAB
    MilesAB
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

(ignore as I can't seem to delete this comment)

• MilesAB
    MilesAB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have tried the importer and it consistently fails. When will you have a working version?

• Straw
    Straw
    Community Member
    Options

I received support's response yesterday which was to do a manual file download from LastPass. That process would not include attachments. I see people take a lot of time needing to scrub that csv file to get it to upload into 1Password.

I feel like you may be advertising an ease of transfer from LastPass that is simply not true. Why not just explain the most efficient way to actually complete the transfer and that it might take new users hours to complete?

When do you expect your LastPass Import function to work seamlessly?

• Straw
    Straw
    Community Member
    Options

I received support's response yesterday which was to do a manual file download from LastPass. That process would not include attachments. I see people take a lot of time needing to scrub that csv file to get it to upload into 1Password.

When do you expect your LastPass Import function to work?

1Password Version: 8.10
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• drrabun
    drrabun
    Community Member
    Options

"Import Failed: Make sure your internet is connected and try again. If it still doesn't work send the diagnostics report." I've sent several diagnostic reports. Hope to get a response soon. Unable to export a CSV file from LastPass without paying for Excel. Looking forward to getting out of LastPass.

• glast1
    glast1
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried to convert and am baffled by how this has been bungled.
    I am tired from and disappointed from this attempted conversion.

-- This Data Conversion is the most basic work a junior programmer has cut their teeth on for decades.  It's failure is enormous
    -- The Ux needs & capabilities missing in 1password have also been around for decades...  
    _This seems to be a management failure, not a technical one. (except for the lack of testing as evidenced by the community threads)
    _

• I created a 1p account and tested one or two accounts for a functionality comparison -- so far so go - a little cruder interface, but ok.
    • I went thru the chatbot to get help w/the conversion offer -- it ends abruptly with "someone will get back to you."  not a good experience
    • I imported my Lastpass account information per the instructions -- horrible experience!

• It did not put the LP.Title in the 1p.title!??? 

• It did not put the LP.Notes in the 1p.Notes!??? 
      - Those two bugs alone make the biggest and most foolish mess

• I like the 1p.categories, but failure to convert the lp.folders to 1p.categories makes no sense

• lp.folders per 1p.website supposedly convert to Vaults, but only one Personal Vault was created. (design makes no sense either)

• LOVE the 1p.Tags!  However... this is where it gets very frustrating:
      --- I cannot right-click to add Tags?
      --- I cannot select many items and simply Tag, or at worst edit to add Tags to all?
      --- I cannot drag items to the Tags?  
      --- Tags are often an non-enterable field until I resize the window, then it appears
      --- Entering a Tag or selecting a tag requires 3 clicks or pressing Enter a few times - not Ux friendly
      --- When I want to select a few tags for one login there are really way too many key presses

This should never have happened. The demand to move from LastPass should have caused leadership to at least assign a resourced to "see how it was going". Big Failure.

Will anything be done in a timely manner to fix this?

• OktoberTrey
    OktoberTrey
    Community Member
    Options

Is there documentation about the CSV file format that 1Password expects? I could spend some time putting together a script to transform the LastPass export so it works.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2023
    Options

@OktoberTrey

If you are going that route, the lastpass converter in the converter suite would be a better method.

But I believe the beta and nightly version of 1Password app handles LastPass native importing much better than the release version.

• OktoberTrey
    OktoberTrey
    Community Member
    Options

I’ll give the nightly version a try before I start trying to reverse engineer the CSV format.

Thanks, @MrC !

• corncob
    corncob
    Community Member
    Options

So I also have been trying to get import working for a while. I found this thread and decided to try out the nightly and beta versions, neither work unfortunately. But what is most unfortunate, is that after trying to go back to the production version, I get an error that a newer version has been used on this computer and that I should instead use that version. What's more, after trying to install the beta version again after uninstalling both versions, I get the same issue! And I can't find a direct download of the nightly. I can't use the windows app at all now. Simply incredible.

• Blake
    Options

Hey @corncob! If you've used development versions of 1Password and are now trying to go back to production versions, it might be best to reset 1Password on your device completely prior to doing that. 🙂

https://support.1password.com/cs/starting-over/

This discussion has been closed.