generating a password with 1password8, MacOS, chrome

Options
Rigaux
Rigaux
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

OK, so : I used 1Password7, and it was pretty easy to generate a password when signing in a new site (there were a button, simple and easy). Now, with 1password8, I do not longer find this functionality. This is extremely surprising (and to be frank I am a bit frustrated and disappointed as well).

I send attached a registration form, and the 1password windows. Would someone tell me how to obtain a new password ? That would be cool! Thanks.

• removed screenshot for your privacy

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.0 81000055,
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome 110.0.5481.177 (Build officiel) (x86_64)

Comments

• Hi @Rigaux ,

It appears that you're using the 1Password app for your desktop in this instance. If you have installed the latest 1Password extension in your browser you can use it to generate a password and sign up for a new site using one of the following options:

The first way to generate a password is to select Use Suggested Password from the inline menu while on a webpage. Here's how to do that:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Navigate to the website you’d like to create an account on.
    3. Type or fill your username or email.
    4. If "Show autofill menu on field focus" is turned on in your 1Password extension settings you'll see "Use Suggested Password" appear when you click in the password field. Click this to generate a strong password.
    • If you don't see this, click the 1Password icon in the password field to toggle on the menu and then select "Use Suggested Password".
    1. A prompt will appear to save this item. Select the vault you'd like to save the item to, then click "Save".
    2. Now that the item is saved in your 1Password vault, click to submit the sign up form.

Alternatively, you can use the Password Generator built into the 1Password extension pop-up to generate your new password. Here's how to do that:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Navigate to the website you’d like to create an account on.
    3. Type or fill your username or email.
    4. Click in the password field.
    5. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    6. Click the Menu icon next to + New Item, then select the Password Generator.
    7. Select the Type of password you'd like to generate and make any further adjustments as desired.
    8. Click the Autofill button.
    9. A prompt will appear to save this item. Select the vault you'd like to save the item to, then click Save.
    10. Now that the item is saved to your 1Password vault, click to submit the sign up form.

If you haven't installed the latest version of 1Password in your browser yet, you can get started using the link below:

Let us know how things come along. I look forward to hearing from you!

• Rigaux
    Rigaux
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there

Thanks again for your help. After some investigations, it turns out that the password suggestion does not work on this specific site (I found another one where it is ok). Regarding the second solution : I probably misunderstand sth, because I do no find a "menu" icon next to "New item", and the new item menu does not show any "Password generator" option. See images attached.

So, at the end, I installed another password generator, and I copy/paste whenever needed. I can live with that, but it was soooo simple before :-) Absolutely no idea where this password generator is hidden :-(

Thanks again

P.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rigaux, it looks like you're looking for the password generator in the app. At the moment, the password generator is only available in the extension in the browser. To find the password generator, please open your browser, click on the extension icon in your browser's toolbar, and then follow the steps in this guide: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/#create-a-custom-password

Additionally, here's a video that I created showing how to get to the password generator: https://share.cleanshot.com/QHbNNlpV

I hope that video helps. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

• Rigaux
    Rigaux
    Community Member
    Options

Got it ! Thanks, and sorry for the blindness.

• @Rigaux, no need to apologise.

On behalf of Joy, you are most welcome. Have a great week!

• bushibear
    bushibear
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to call up the password generator as in previous versions from the mini app, rather than in the browser?

I have a need for passwords on many occasions what are not related to the WWW.

Thanks,
    Simon

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @bushibear, I'm afraid there's not a way to do that. For now, I recommend opening your browser and using a shortcut to open the password generator if you need to get to it fast: https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

In the meantime, I'll add your voice to a feature request that we have to make the password generator more accessible. Hopefully this is something that can be looked at soon.

I appreciate your time and patience. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

PB: 31521065

• bushibear
    bushibear
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. It's odd that taking away something we had and asking for it back is a feature request. How about restoring removed functionality? However I do understand the need for updates and items get moved around, just that as I stated not everything that is password related is web related...

So I've looked at this link and see that the short cut is CMD-G. In my Safari instance (MacOS Ventura-current), I just get the bell error sound. I've looked in 1Password preferences and don't see this, also the settings in the extension do not reference a CMD-G. Sorry to be so dense, but can you please point me to the setting for this-in either the app or the Safari Extension.

Thank you for helping.

• Thanks for getting back to us @bushibear, I understand where you are coming from and have passed on your feedback.

As for the shortcut, you need to open 1Password in your browser by either clicking on the icon in your browser toolbar or hitting CMD+SHIFT+X and then CMD+G should open the password generator.

I hope this helps!

• bushibear
    bushibear
    Community Member
    Options

steph.giles, thank you for your help through all this.
    I was able to get the browser shortcuts to work.
    And for passing along the feedback to your group. I typically have 1password application open at all times and could set a system keyboard shortcut to pull the generator from there (and I have tried in Ventura - both with the 1P app and the 1P app for Safari, however it doesn't work).
    Hopefully this is something that the team might consider.
    Thanks for your time.
    Simon

• Thanks for getting back to me @bushibear, we appreciate the feedback.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.

• runamonk
    runamonk
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote to please restore back a permanent link to the password generator. if there is a shortcut, surely you can add a new menu or toolbar button and have it use that same shortcut. Thanks!

• EvonG1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @runamonk, thank you for your feedback. I've shared your voice with our product team. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

ref:36067745

This discussion has been closed.