Unbind date/time and number formatting from language settings

Options
CouldBeWorse
CouldBeWorse
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Windows

Please, let us choose the date formatting independently from the language.

My OS language is english. 1Password uses the system default language, which is en-us.

However, my OS is setup to use the German number and date/time formatting. And 1password unfortunately uses the terrible en-us date formatting.

It would be best, if the date/time and number formatting would not be bound to the language of the app. Instead, it should be selectable like the language. It should use the OS settings by default, but it should be changeable as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @CouldBeWorse,

Thanks for your message.

While date and time are bound to the language setting, 1Password should be properly detecting the date and time. We currently have an issue filed with the development team for customers who are not seeing their set date/time properly following the system preferences they've set up. I've included your report for the team. I have no further news when we might see more improvements there, but please keep an eye on our 1Password Releases page for updates.

Please let us know if you run into any other troubles, we'll be happy to help!

ref: dev/core/core#8747

• CouldBeWorse
    CouldBeWorse
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

While date and time are bound to the language setting,

Please, unbind it then? Technically, there's absolutely no reason to keep it dependant on the language of the interface. The app can still be English and display the date time in different formats. It's not perfect (using 12-hours times), but better than what you have now. For example:

console.log(new Intl.DateTimeFormat('de-DE', { dateStyle: 'short', timeStyle: 'short' }).format(new Date(Date.UTC(2020, 11, 20, 3, 23, 16, 738))));

Returns:

20.12.20, 04:23

Now you could provide a setting in the UI that says: "Date/Time Formatting Preference" and give the user the options to choose a different language there e.g., German.

This can then be stored in a variable e.g., dtFormat and then you would just use this variable whenever you format a date/time, instead of the variable that stores what language the is in.

We currently have an issue filed with the development team for customers who are not seeing their set date/time properly following the system preferences they've set up.

This contradicts with your previous statement that date and time are bound to the language setting. Is it bound or not? Because my system language is english, I just configured the date/time format to German. From what I gather, if you fix that problem, it will have no effect on my feature request.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d
    The date/time setting in 1Password seems linked hardcoded to the date/time setting of the OS, at least with Windows 11. As soon as I change the regional settings in Windows, 1Password uses the new date/time formatting without changing any 1Password setting. Within 1Password, I'm only able to change the UI language, but date/time formatting is independent from this and stays the same.

• Hello @CouldBeWorse and @Tertius3,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for getting back to me. I apologize for my error and any confusion my message caused. You should be able to use the system default language, but using a different date and time format should also reflect that of what you've set in the OS.

While we've made some improvements to the format in expiry date fields in items such as Driver's License and Passport items, not all dates and times are reflecting correctly. This in some cases includes the item metadata (date modified/created) as mentioned in your original post. The team is continuing to investigate and make improvements to this formatting in the 1Password 8 app.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

ref: dev/core/core#8747

This discussion has been closed.