Yubikey

Options
STS22
STS22
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Mac

Hello - I just purchased 2 yubikeys for use with 1Password. I can't get it to function the way I hoped it would.

Here's what I'm after: when I open the app on my desktop or phone, or I open the website, I want 1Password to say, "Hey, insert your yubikey. No yubikey, no access." If I lose my phone, of if my computer is stolen from my office, I don't want whoever finds it to access 1Password. I understand I can go to the website and require the device to ask for 2FA at the next launch, but even then I can open the app without yubikey and see all the passwords.

How do I get 1Password on my phone, computer, and website to block access — every time — unless yubikey is present?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.2.1
Browser:_ safari

Comments

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t think that’s currently possible so it would be a feature request

• rudy
    Options

@STS22,

@r3r344r4 is correct, that's not how 1Password utilizes security keys. They are exclusively used when signing in on a new device.

• STS22
    STS22
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

• I'm happy that Rudy and r3r344r4 were able to help clarify. 🙂

-Dave

• jeffer23
    jeffer23
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I am interested in yubikey in a similar way. Are we saying that if I have a smart phone my yubikey would only be used one time for that device and never used again? On my job I have to use Yubikey each time I boot my PC to access the operating system. It is part of the login process. This is not possible with 1password?

Thanks for any advice on this.

• @jeffer23

That's correct, you'll only be prompted to authenticate using your YubiKey the first time that you add your 1Password account to your Mac or browser.

1Password's security works differently from your PC's. Rather than just using authentication (which your YubiKey is part of) 1Password protects your data using encryption. Encryption means that your data is cryptographically protected using a process where it can only be accessed with your account password and Secret Key. You can read more here: Authentication and encryption in the 1Password security model

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• jeffer23
    jeffer23
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the clarification on that.

What is the best way to stop having to enter a password on a phone? My fingerprint and face detection on Samsung phone is terrible. The screen protector makes fingerprint detection useless. I wear glasses which makes face detection fail. Plus the phone is at an angle from my face in my car.

While I feel somewhat comfortable that 1password protects me from ransomware on my account, it doesn't protect me from someone getting all of my passwords if they hack into my PC/phone with key logging and remote access.

I know the idea contradicts the software name of having 1 password, but it seems like having no password would be the safest option.

• @jeffer23

This topic is in the Mac forum, I've split your previous comment about Android phones and moved it to the Android forum where one of my colleagues will help with your questions on that platform. 🙂

You can find that discussion here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/683256#Comment_683256

Since the original poster's question has been answered I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.