To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do you actually set up security key. Do I have to have authentication app?

Options
Samtheman67
Samtheman67
Community Member
edited March 2023 in Memberships

How to set up a security key. Do I have to have an authentication app to set it up? Or can just use the security key. Also I am not a techie. Can I use my security key also on other app to set up other apps? I run the latest version of 1password and macOS. Also when I log in do I still use my password and then use the security key to verify to log in?

Thanks for any input!!

Sam Siegel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do you actually set up security key. Do I have to have authentication app?

Comments

• Hey @Samtheman67

How to set up a security key. Do I have to have an authentication app to set it up? Or can just use the security key. Also I am not a techie. Can I use my security key also on other app to set up other apps? I run the latest version of 1password and macOS.

You can learn how to set up a security key here - How to set up a security key with 1Password.

You do not have to register an authenticator app to use your security key as a form of 2FA. Security keys are compatible with 1Password 8 on all platforms and can be your only form of 2FA.

Also when I log in do I still use my password and then use the security key to verify to log in?

2FA is required upon the sign-in of a new device. Devices that have been authorized will not need to satisfy 2FA.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

• Samtheman67
    Samtheman67
    Community Member
    Options

Ok what you are saying once I log in and verified with my security key even If I log out and go back in later in the day I will not have to use my security key again. I have my 1 password to lock after 10 min. I use it off and on during the day.

• @Samtheman67

Yes, if you complete the initial sign in you will not be prompted later for the security key. It would only be needed for the initial registration of the device or needing to access 1Password.com for example. I would recommend using the lock option instead of logging out so that you only need to provide your password.

This discussion has been closed.