"Use 1Password" stop functioning if the extension icon is removed from the toolbar

Zabriskije
Zabriskije
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi folks,
I don't like having many icons in my toolbar, so I normally remove the ones I don't use or don't use inside Safari directly.
But if I remove the 1Password extension icon, the login form "Use 1Password" option doesn't work, and I have to manually open the 1Password app to unlock it.
I also found out that it doesn't happen after a system boot-up, but only after the 1Password app locked itself after the first use.

In addition, when unlocked this way, ~10s go by before I can see any login suggestion. But I think this will be solved if the aftermentioned gets fixed since it doesn't happen when the "Use 1Password" option is used after a system boot-up.

To reproduce it:

• Right-click on the Safari toolbar or choose View → Customize Toolbar, and remove the 1Password extension icon. You can also press ⌘, and while keep pressing, click on the 1Password extension icon and drag it outside the toolbar.
  • Restart Safari, just to be sure.
  • Press "Use 1Password" in a login form while the app is locked (and not open).

I know this isn't necessarily a 1Password issue, but I think "Use 1Password" should function whether or not the icon is present in the toolbar.

1Password Version: 8.10.3 (81003012)
Extension Version: 2.8.1
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)
Browser: Safari 16.3 (18614.4.6.1.6)

Comments

• Hi @Zabriskije, thanks for reaching out!

Does your device have Touch ID capability? If so, when clicking the 1Password icon in the field of the page while Touch ID is enabled for 1Password, you'll receive a prompt that will allow you to unlock the 1Password app and extension simultaneously in order to prevent having to manually open the 1Password app and enter your password.

• Zabriskije
    Zabriskije
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Hi @david.m_1P,

Touch ID is enabled, but without the 1Password icon in the toolbar, the Touch ID prompt doesn't show up when "Use 1Password" is clicked.
    Have you tried following my steps to reproduce this behavior?

I've attached a quick video showing the issue.

1p.gif 34.7M
  • Hey @Zabriskije,

Thank you for getting back to us. I believe that 1Password should be working there even without being present on the toolbar. Weirdly when I test it on my end using the steps you sent over it seemed a little intermittent but I was unable to reliable produce the issue. I'd love to take a closer look at the behaviour you are experiencing so we can get an issue filed if necessary. Could you send over the following so we can dig a little deeper:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Zabriskije
    Zabriskije
    Community Member

Hey @steph.giles,

Here's the Support ID number: [#KAP-49975-189]

After your report, I enabled "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" in the main app, and that made the issue go away (I just made a single test). So it seems related to the main app too.

If you have the time, please try again with "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" disabled, to see if you can reliably produce the issue.

• Thank you @Zabriskije, I have located your ticket and passed on the details and our team will be in touch soon.

ref: KAP-49975-189

• Zabriskije
    Zabriskije
    Community Member
    edited March 2023

Thanks for the help @david.m_1P, @steph.giles, and @kevin.li.

For those who stumble upon this thread: the problem is that — other than the Safari shenanigans — when the desktop app is closed, it quits instead of running in the background. The issue is already on the tracking list.

• You're most welcome, @Zabriskije ! Thanks for sharing that we're looking into the issue!

• Zabriskije
    Zabriskije
    Community Member
    edited May 2023

Still present in 1Password 8.10.6 (81006027) / Extension 2.10.0 (20246)

As a workaround, I've set SecurityAuto-lockLock after the computer is idle for to Never

Still requires a manual start-up after the computer is locked, though.

• Hey @Zabriskije,

Thank you for sharing the workaround,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I have taken a look at the progress on the issue and it seems to be a Safari limitation. We are working towards a solution, thank you for your patience.

ref: dev/core/core#20794

• Zabriskije
    Zabriskije
    Community Member

v8.10.7: now, if I hide the app via the x icon after unlocking it, it quits instantly instead of remaining open until the time set in the Auto-Lock section. So my previous workaround doesn't work anymore.

• @Zabriskije

1Password in the menu bar would be required or if you close the main window 1Password will lock. We have a feature request open to hide the menu bar application. I'd be happy to add your voice. Can you let me know if this is something you would like me to do? Based on the thread I feel certain that's a yes, but I don't want to speak out of place.

• Zabriskije
    Zabriskije
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I'm not sure I'm following you: isn't what SettingsGeneralKeep 1Password in the menu bar already do?
    And just for the sake of clarity, if I close the main window 1Password quits instead of hiding.

• Hey @Zabriskije,

I'm sorry for the trouble. At this time, keeping 1Password in the menu bar will ensure the 1Password app background processes are running, and allow the app's features to be uninterrupted.

I did find a way to hide the 1Password desktop app and keep the extension unlocked by using the CMD⌘ + H keyboard shortcut. After unlocking the 1Password desktop app, use the CMD⌘ + H keyboard to hide the 1Password app, the extension should still be unlocked.

I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.